Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you use?

Old 03-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you use?

i agree 100% with _Dan, what has helped me the most is experience.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Experience has definitely helped me, nothing compares with learning from mistakes. As far as gadgets and other things like that, I'd say Hunter's Specialties scent-a-way and cover scents have definitely played a huge part in becomming a better hunter as I now am confident to go into areas on our property that I previously wouldn't have been willing to hunt. Also, Books and magazines! While a lot of them may be for show, there is a lot of helpful insight that helps me think of things i'd never considered before when hunting
Old 03-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Acomfortable climber. I've got places I go into VERY early....and I sleep until first light. It also allows me to stay on stand longer than I might with another stand.

I probably owe a few deer to my being able to stay on stand longer.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: _Dan

Gadgets and stuff are nice to use, but nothing has helped me more than experience. Screwing up and learning from my mistakes.....being able to figure out what I did wrong and correcting it. Nothing is more valuable than my noodle in the woods.
I agree 100% with Dan And Steve!!!!! Experience with actual time in the woods! All the gadgets in the world aren't going to make you a better hunter, maybe a better shot, maybe, but if you can't find the deer there will be no shot!
Old 03-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

by far the best equipment I carry into the woods is between my ears. Hunt smart not hard.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:51 AM

another vote for comfortable climbers, also I attended a seminar at our deer/turkey expo by Mark Kayser -"6 steps for beating the cold", packed full of great info so I can keep my arse on stand for more than 2 hours in Dec/Jan
Old 03-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thermacell, no way I could ever go on an early youth hunt without!
Old 03-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I realize that gadgets will not make you a better hunter. If you think they help, what are they? Post em up.

Thanks for all the replies.

LT
Old 03-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

I would say my trail camera. It gives me 24-7 scouting capability. My bow would be a close second. Prior to my Diamond Victory, I hunted with a Mathews 3d Vapor for 7 or 8 years. I was plenty due for a new bow when I got my Diamond. It has helped me become a much better shooter.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:51 PM

I will agree with the others that experience and patience has added the most success to my hunting. But a close second would be the use of the internet for satalite photos', topo maps, aireals, ect... for scouting areas, and helping choose hunting areas and stand sites. I know I may be a slow learner in this regard, but being technology challanged has it's plus' too.