Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What got you into bowhunting?

Old 03-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What got you into bowhunting?

I had a few small game hunters in the family when i was very young, i learned to hunt small game and loved it. We were visiting my uncles house a couple hours away one day and he brought up wanting to try Deer hunting with a bow, he talked of hunting from trees, i had never heard of that.I was all ears and begged Dad to try it, well neither one ever did but that just sounded so cool to me, and i never let go of it. I wanted it BAD. At about 12 years old Dad bought me an Indian Savage recurve at 45#, he would drop me off in the dark and come get me at a certain time. I was scared chitless until daylight but the craving drove me, i wanted it all. I was not allowed to hunt out of trees so stalking and ground blinds were my options. It took me a VERY long time before i arrowed the first deer and i had allready moved to an Indian stalker compound. I learned the hard way with absolutly no guidence, but when you want something bad enough you never quit. There were not alot of deer back then but i loved it and have never missed a season since. I made 100's of mistakes but would do it all over again Its a pasion i have and plan on doing it for much longer.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Simple....more time!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

I simply wanted more time to hunt.
x2
Old 03-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have not been hunting yet. My husband bought me a bow for mother's day. He loves shooting his bow ecspecially once it hits Aug. but he felt like he should cut back so we could have more time together, I shot a bow in highschool a few times and it was fun so I gave him a solution to his problem. There was no way I was even close to good enough last year to go so I didn't but I am thinking I will hunt this year. But just shooting is addicting. He was doing an archery league so about a month or so ago I started going with him and shooting. And now I am hooked on shooting! Josh had me start scoring so I could track my progress and I am glad that I did. The first week I started I shot a 217, better than I thought, the next week I dropped to 214 and then I shot a 249 a few days ago I shot a 256. So now I feel confident that I could shoot a deer.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

My parents have been big into bow hunting before I was even a twinkle in the old mans eye. I grew up in a family of four, me being the oldest and a younger brother. My mom and dad both have been successful in taking deer and bear in Minnesota. My brother and I are 2 lucky guys being raised in a bow hunting family, both of us were shooting our little recurves at 3 years old. Sometimes I forget how good I had it growing up being around this bow hunting stuff!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:58 PM

A 10-day rifle season just wasn't long enough for me.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:02 PM

My other hunting is with a high powered rifle and bow hunting gives me a whole new dynamic entirely. It's more of an art form and I love the fact that you have to be more stealthy to have them be close enough to you! Also like everyone else says it gets me more time away and outdoors where I belong.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

Bowhunting or deer bowhunting? I lived in a neighborhood with houses so close you could spit on the next door neighbors. The neighbors used to call my parents when I was out in the yard shooting squirrels, so I decided I needed amore silentway to hunt.

Then I met a guy on the school bus that could shoot a 2 liter bottle out of the air with his bow, so of course I had to try it. havent done it yet...so I guess that is how I got hooked on a bow (still trying). It really is too short of a hunting season with firearms too!

Oh, did I mention that its a hell of a lot cooler to kill a deer with a bow? I was sick of all the guys bragging about running 30 hounds through the woods and shooting them with a shotgun!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:13 PM

"Bowhunting or deer bowhunting?"

I think that they mean hunting big game with a bow, mostly deer. [8D]

I have yet to make a kill shot with a bow, now I'm wondering if I should've taken that button buck last year instead of letting him walk? I wanted his mamma but she ran off in the opposite direction!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

Simple....more time!
You got that right, more time in the woods hunting is always a good thing!!!!!!

Quick Reply: What got you into bowhunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.