Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting where the does are/will be?

Old 03-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting where the does are/will be?

Jeff's (GMMAT) thread on location got me wondering. How many here actually hunt where the does are, or where you think they will be? I have always tried to key in on deer traffic as a whole, but the last few seasons that has changed. I am more interested in getting the drop on a good buck before he ever gets to the does. Hunting does may work in some areas, but they also lessen your chances on getting the buck imho. They (does), to me are both good and bad I guess. They will attract bucks, but they also will blow your stinkin' cover before he ever gets there. I guess the essence of what I am trying to say is, "get him on his way", not wait till he gets there. Does this make sense?

So how many hunt where the does are/will be?

LT
Old 03-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hunting where the does are/will be?

How many here actually hunt where the does are, or where you think they will be during certain times of the year?

I hunt does, exclusively.

Hunting does may work in some areas, but they also lessen your chances on getting the buck imho.
I agree this approach isn't right for everyone......or even on every property I will hunt. On what I hunt, now.....Iknow it is.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Different times of the years different tactics. Hunting Does in Early season will put you on does.

As bucks become interested during the Pre-rut..you don't neccesarily have to hunt the does, but rather the areas that doe are usually in. Whether they are truly there on that given time makes little difference, until later in the phase of the rut.

If you can find the"3rd dimension"the areas bucks use to scent check the doe areas (while still under cover) then you begin to get into the inner workings of repeatable success on better bucks.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

When it gets to November, you bet. I'll be set up close to the daytime bedding areas to catch the bucks cruising.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I pretty much hunt the same way all year. I concentrate on pinch points and travel routes between bedding and feeding areas. I guess what I do change as it closer to the rut, I will concentrate on areas areas where bucks are able to scent check bedding and feeding areas.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree Jeff, that during the chase/rut phase this is a great time to be where the does are/will be. But, where I hunt, the chase/rut phase is so, ill-defined if you will, that it's unreal. Trying to time your hunts with the chase/rut phase here will likely have someone eating tag soup. Fortunately this is compensated for with a 6 deer per season tag limit (buck or doe). This is why I believe, in MY woods, hunting the does is futile at best. Hunting where a buck will transition between bedding and feed is my best hope at a mature buck. Don't get me wrong, there is a rut here, and you may/may not see the activity of the rut, but it does come. Sporadic is a good term for our rut here. Unseasonably warm temps and wacked out buck/doe ratio, combined with extreme gun pressure, make me want to hunt the trail in the thickest nastiest mess around.

LT
Old 03-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I must sign off for a while. Interesting replies though and keep 'em coming. I am just a student here learning all I can.

Thanks, LT
Old 03-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess if I was going to hunt where the doe's are I would go sit on the edge of the bean or corn field and wait there. That hasn't worked all to well for me in seeing mature buck's. I stick more to the rubs and scrapes that catch my eye. Not all rubs and scrapes catch my eye but some do and allot of times them are the ones I'll set up on and see what's up. Little trails in between the bedding area and where they feed is another location I look for also. Notice that I said little trails and not big trails. I learned this one from the old man, he swore by it (small little sneaky buck trails)! Greg has mentioned this same thing in a few of his post and threads (thick small buck trails). Look at his success!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

As bucks become interested during the Pre-rut..you don't neccesarily have to hunt the does, but rather the areas that doe are usually in.
That's hunting the does (where they are). When the magic time comes....I'll quit shooting them (does)....but I still hunt THEM (where they are).

I have no access to their feeding areas unless they're on acorns. And I have no access to where they're bedding. I hunt a great staging area and some really good funnels, though..........minding where the does will always be. Sooner or later.....the bucks seem to find them.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

I guess I pretty much hunt the same way all year. I concentrate on pinch points and travel routes between bedding and feeding areas. I guess what I do change as it closer to the rut, I will concentrate on areas areas where bucks are able to scent check bedding and feeding areas.
I'm with ya!
However, this year I have had some sightings of "big ones that got away" and have been trying to locate these buck areas.
These buck sightings have been up to 3 plus miles as the crow flies. Lot's of research, but am finding other cubby holes while doing so.

Quick Reply: Hunting where the does are/will be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.