Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting where the does are/will be?

Old 03-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting where the does are/will be?

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

But since I am intending to kill a buck, I am hunting places(routes) where I think he could find the greatest number of does while still feeling safe doing so.
That is VERY well put.
x2
x3 really. If you can pinpoint an area where a buck is cruising for does and feels safe going it, then you are ina primetime spot.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

But since I am intending to kill a buck, I am hunting places(routes) where I think he could find the greatest number of does while still feeling safe doing so.
That is VERY well put.
x2
x3 really. If you can pinpoint an area where a buck is cruising for does and feels safe going it, then you are ina primetime spot.
Sounds like a funnel between two doe bedding areas.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good post Greg. This is one thing I'm going to try and do this year, target one of these older does for the reasons you stated. Interesting info.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobow

So.......how does one go about finding a hot doe w/out spending hours looking over doe areas? Honest question.....
I will tell you how in awhile. When I have a little more time. check back later.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

ORIGINAL: mobow

So.......how does one go about finding a hot doe w/out spending hours looking over doe areas? Honest question.....
I will tell you how in awhile. When I have a little more time. check back later.
Finding a hot doe is a lot of leg work. First of all during the rut I am not concerned with scaring deer. I walk around looking for sign of a hot doe without care of bumping deer or making noise. I want to cover a lot ofground fastand I can't do that ***** footing around. Snow is great for this and makes it easy. Just look for a lot of tracks in an area. Signs of chasing going on. If there isn't any snow then look for other sign. The leaves will be all turned up. Scrapes that have been abandoned will be ripped open again. Get right in there and determine how long ago it was freshenred. New rubs will be made on trees. I only target an area if the sign is fresh. REAL FRESH. WITHIN 12 hours. Remember, a buck will only stay with a doe for about 48 hr. Once I find a hot area I start scouting the area. I make a circle around the area and look for stand sites. Thick cover areas. bottle necks, trails etc. I do a fast scout job and set up right away. I don't care what time of day it is. I start hunting it right away. Time is of the essence. Keep in mind they like to move to heavy cover. I don't agree with others as to why they do it. But the important thing is that they do it! Hunt the area all day. during the rut noon is just as good as dawn and dusk. If I have luck I will try for one more day. Other bucks will smell that hot doe and will be traveling around the area looking for her. Who knows, there may be many bucks after that doe.
I would rather spend time looking for a hot area then sit for days watching an area hoping for a buck to show up. something that many people don't understand is that smart old bucks still prefer to check for does at night. I believe a lot of the big ones you see during the rut are eithor on a hot trail, with a doe, or leaving one after breeding. If a big one checks doe areas during the night and finds one they will most likely end up in some thick cover before you show up for the day to watch that area. So you are in the right place but the wrong time. This works good in big woods areas. but it could work anywhere. If you hunt a small woodlot type setting and overnight chase sign opens up you better call in sick and park your butt out there all day.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:50 AM

to me it depends on the time of the season. and how how many deer i want to see. some times i see less deer but bigger bucks and some times i see alot of deer and few bucks. that is why i usually make a rual to stay with the whole idea of "depends on the time of season".
Old 03-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

That is VERY well put.
x2

Funny, sometimes it's not the information, but apparently who does the sharing.

As this was stated in the second response

If you can find the"3rd dimension"the areas bucks use to scent check the doe areas (while still under cover) then you begin to get into the inner workings of repeatable success on better bucks.
It's alright I embrace the Underdog Role..always have..Hence the name of our team name last year [8D]

Old 03-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

ORIGINAL: GregH

That is VERY well put.
x2

Funny, sometimes it's not the information, but apparently who does the sharing.

As this was stated in the second response

If you can find the"3rd dimension"the areas bucks use to scent check the doe areas (while still under cover) then you begin to get into the inner workings of repeatable success on better bucks.
It's alright I embrace the Underdog Role..always have..Hence the name of our team name last year [8D]

Some one's panties in a bunch this morning? What you said makes perfect since GR8 in the second post of the thread. I missed your post and I don't think everyone else is discrediting your info one bit.