Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting where the does are/will be?

Old 03-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hunting where the does are/will be?

Hunting Does and all the sign they make (tracks, trails, etc.) is an easy mistake to make. Sure you may catch a Buck coming through, but I've watched Mature bucks hook up with a Doe in Heat and he takes her to his house. He's not hanging around hers
So you would hunt every property this way? My hunting land this way?
Old 03-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

i try to hunt heavily used trails, dont care if its does, or bucks that come by. i also hunt bedding areas, staging areas, funnels, etc. i know this tactic would work on one farm i hunt, but another one, it would be counter productive, we dont see many does there, in fact, the 3 years ive been hunting there, ive seen many more bucks than does.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:53 AM

I very rarely hunt destinations anymore, even if I am targeting does. Every once in a while I will, if I know they are using it heavily. I used to hunt destinations most of the time, and since I've stopped that, I see, and kill, more deer.

I hunt travel corridors, almost exclusively. I'm still learning which are being used by does and which by bucks, and obviously sometimes by both. I've honestly gotten to the point where I can look at a topo map of ground I've never set foot on and put myself in good position. Do I kill 'em every time, or even have a shot every time? No. But it's been HIGHLY effective.

A fellow HNI'er told me....DON'T HUNT THE SIGN!! That's where they've been, not where they will be. Well, I don't always know where they will be, but I do know how to recognize terrain features they will use to get there.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

A fellow HNI'er told me....DON'T HUNT THE SIGN!! That's where they've been, not where they will be. Well, I don't always know where they will be, but I do know how to recognize terrain features they will use to get there
Very good info mobow. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I very rarely hunt destinations anymore, even if I am targeting does. Every once in a while I will, if I know they are using it heavily. I used to hunt destinations most of the time, and since I've stopped that, I see, and kill, more deer.
I agree with this, Mobo....by default. I don't have a destination that I feel comfortable sitting in. There's too many mast producing trees to begin setting up on just a few.

A fellow HNI'er told me....DON'T HUNT THE SIGN!!
I dont know who that was,,,,,but I agree with him.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I agree with this, Mobo....by default. I don't have a destination that I feel comfortable sitting in. There's too many mast producing trees to begin setting up on just a few.

A fellow HNI'er told me....DON'T HUNT THE SIGN!!
I dont know who that was,,,,,but I agree with him.

Well that would be none other than our very own buckeye. I used to be TERRIBLE at that. Oh man! Look at all the deer sign here!! I'm setting up right oooovvveeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr......THERE! Yeah, not very effective. But the problem is, it's effective enough for a self taught deer killer such as myself to employ all too often.

It took him 2 years of pounding that in my brain, but now....I pay VERY LITTLE attention to deer sign anymore. He told me, and I've since learned he is spot on, that a mature buck will leave very little sign around. But if you can recognize funnels and travel corridors, and can hunt them w/out being detected....You'll kill 'em.

Damned if he wasn't right. Like I just mentioned, EVERYTHING I know about deer hunting is self taught. Positive reinforcement. I've killed does hunting over sign, so I'm gonna look for it. I had to completely reprogram my brain, and that program is still being written. I sometimes fall back into old habits. Though sometimes they work.

If anyone hasn't read it yet, get Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon. That book is a WEALTH of information. I've read it twice, and will again this summer. I pick up on something everytime I read it. I don't know much, and I'm no expert by any means. But I'm tellin ya, hunt the terrain and your success will go up. But it's damn hard to walk right past a truck load of deer sign and hunt somewhere else. Hope this doesn't sound arrogant, because I've got so much to learn it's not funny. Killing one buck certainly doesn't make me an expert.......as of now, I'm just a one hit wonder, sort of like the band A Flock of Seagulls. [&:]
Old 03-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: peakrut

I tried that magic and damn my head hurt the next day.Didnt think of the bamboo though.
ORIGINAL: magicman54494

ORIGINAL: GregH

I can't tell you, I've been sworn to secrecy by my ancestors.
Then we will just have to get you drunk enough to spill the beans. Don't make us shove bamboo shoots under your fingernails
The idea is to get GREGH drunk, not yourself.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I decided to try something a little different. Instead of spending countless hours watching doe areas I decided to hunt for a doe in heat and set up there. I should be showing you guys a pic of a 150" 10 pointer. Maybe next year I will hit what I'm aiming at!
Old 03-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat
I have come to the conclusion that sometimes we really should accept good sound advice without questioning someone's experience or knowledge.

LT, What I meant was I don't worry myself over why the methods and places I hunt work for me. I've got better things to worry about.

I'm an aggressive Hunter and if something is not happening, I usually try to make it happen

I've always hunted to Kill! I can sit on the deck and watch the Squirrels, birds, and Deer play, andI do enjoy watching, but when I grab my Bow I'm out to Whack something. I pass tons of Deer, but I still hunt to Kill!

Dan
Old 03-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Last year I decided to try something a little different. Instead of spending countless hours watching doe areas I decided to hunt for a doe in heat and set up there. I should be showing you guys a pic of a 150" 10 pointer. Maybe next year I will hit what I'm aiming at!
Awesome post Magic!! This right here is what others have got to do when there not having luck there previous way. I'm not saying do exactly what Magic is doing but try and switch it up a bit and try something else if what your doing isn't working. You don't know until you try. Great info Magic.

Quick Reply: Hunting where the does are/will be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.