Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Clearing shooting lanes

Old 03-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Clearing shooting lanes

My buddies joke that I'm a lumberjack - I trim so many shooting lanes...If I think that a branch could get in the way, I trim that one AND then the one next to it too just to be safe

I don't like missing shot opps at deer because I don't have a shooting lane and most of us have been there at one point - LOL

My buck last year I shot at 35 yards in a pretty thick grove. If I wouldn't have trimmed as much as I did I wouldn't have had a chance... He also came in a totally unexpected direction too - so some of that 'extra' triming paid off.

I don't do much special with the braches I trim... If there is a trail or paththat I don't want the deer to take, I'll pile them up there.Or I'll pile them up inbetween a couple of trees or next to some old deadfall that has been sitting around a while...
Old 03-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I find when you only clear out a little......you get in yoru stand in the fall and foliage all over the place has covered up your "lane" I try not to go crazy, but limbs/trees etc....need to be cut, and I cut them! also a 2ft lane....leaves you little room for that deer if he decides to stop less tahn a foot on either side.....then all you have is a neck or gut shot.....deer don't always listen to me, so I like more width than 2ft.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I rairly trim more than a branch or two. I currently do not hunt anywhere that is that brushy as to need 'lanes'
Old 03-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Side note is I like to hunt thick woods and swamps, so a couple of branches usually aren't enough to zip a Thunderhead thru
Old 03-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

I usually wait until the leaves fill the branches, that way I wont have to go back because I missed a spot.

Last year in september I was in one of my stands and a doe walked underneath and stopped to check out the fresh cut branches. Something about the smell of fresh cut leaves and tilled earth that attracts them...at least for me!

We cleared over 2 acres of dirt for our new plots, and the next day you wouldnt believe how many tracks were through the overturned dirt. A week later, not a single track!
Old 03-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not a big lane trimmer. I'll snip a few branches here and there to give me some shots, but I don't like to ope things up real big.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

Yeah Shultz-I do the same with the branches with removing them from the site and I'll actually take dirt from the ground and rub the cut ends to dull the finish.
# One for the deer and # two for the other hunters passing through.
Cool!! I thought I was the only dork who did that, I believe it is a good practice to do.
I do this too. I cut as close to the ground as possible for the smaller stuff and then I place the cutoff's like a flower arrangement so that the trimming is not noticable.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do this too. I cut as close to the ground as possible for the smaller stuff and then I place the cutoff's like a flower arrangement so that the trimming is not noticable.
[/quote]

That's sweet buttercup!
ha-ha
Old 03-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Site Buck Guru

Sorry Ed, it's for the deer, not you dear![8D]
Old 03-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

Yeah Shultz-I do the same with the branches with removing them from the site and I'll actually take dirt from the ground and rub the cut ends to dull the finish.
# One for the deer and # two for the other hunters passing through.
Cool!! I thought I was the only dork who did that, I believe it is a good practice to do.
I do the same. I am more concerned with other people finding my spots. The woods are always changing and I think the deer are used to that. I believe it's the scent you leave that spooks the deer more that a few branches missing.

Quick Reply: Clearing shooting lanes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.