Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I was born to hunt
68.89%
I hunt because someone introduced me to the sport
17.78%
I hunt because my friends and family hunt
11.11%
I use hunting as an excuse to get away and relax
2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

how did you become a hunter?

Old 03-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how did you become a hunter?

Since i was a kid and i used to go out in my Dads truck , i have hunted in some way , shape or form .
We used to grab the air rifle and a tin of .22 pellets and chuck them in the cab , behind the seat . We used to deliver mine shaft roof supports to quarries and their were rabbits everywhere , my Dad would take a few rabbits and then let me have a go . Its fair to say i was a natural with the air rifle and did not think twice about gutting them , my Dad would open them and i would put my hand in and put the gut and entrails out without batting an eyelid . i got my First OWN air rifle at 13 and used it at every opertunity , i later upgraded to Berretta 303A semi auto shotgun and loved it ..... although i still loved my air rifles . At 17 i read an article in a magazine about Bowhunting in America and was determined from that day , that i would get a bow and go bowhunting in America one day .
Unfortunately it took me 19yrs to get that bow , due to a lengthy relationship and Marraige and 2 beautiful kids ( she said i had to many hobbies and rifles/shotguns .
Now i'm divorsed , see the kids more than before , i have a kickass bow and am coming to America to hunt ELK .
Old 03-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started at the young age of about 6 yrs old. My Dad was big into using dogs and drives. We Squirrel hunted, Deer hunted, Fished, Camped, and everything in between. I owe probably 99.9% of what I know to my Dad. I hate to see the day when he is gone. He never did like to be in pictures because he is so modest concerning his abilities as a sportsman. I was there. I know what he could and still can do. It is and always has been in my blood.

And this is where I feel closest to both my Fathers. (below)

LT
Old 03-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know it's threads like this that make memories even more special. Just a bump for an awesome thread.

TTT
Old 03-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Natural born killa I guess.
I started with BB guns when I was 7 shotting all the little critters.
I would catch frogs and put firecrackers in their mouths - boom! It's being outdoors I suppose in a twisted way.
I remember my sister's hampster broke it's little leg and I amputated it and then cotterized it with Dad's bic lighter.
The hampster got so sick my sister asked me to put it out of it's misery and I dawned the BB gun and acted as a proud little hunter.
Archery practicing on my sisters Barbie Dolls.
Then @ 14 my buddies Dad asked my Dad to take me hunting and the rest is history.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ED, If we are hunting together I am NOT going to break my leg!
Old 03-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

You know it's threads like this that make memories even more special. Just a bump for an awesome thread.

TTT
I agree LT!
Old 03-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

X2!!

Dang, this might be the next guy we see in a Morgan Freeman movie.LOL
Old 03-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

tenyears ago when i was seven my dad bought me a red rider a went in the backyard and shot about six birds that were floating around the barns. i brought them back to my mom and she got pissed off she called my dad and all he could do was laugh. that night he asked me if i wanted to go hunting with him in the winter, i eagerly said yes. we went out to the gun club we had back then in washington nj, we were sitting in a stand next to a corn feild and a river. a few deer came out along with the smallest ten in history (maybe 10 inches high and 9 inches wide) my father shot that buck and ever since i have been captivated by hunting.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

X2!!

Dang, this might be the next guy we see in a Morgan Freeman movie.LOL
Now come on! I was asked to do this by my sister, she's family you know - This did make me realize I didn't want to be a Vet.

Last story... I was dating a girl in High School and her family was raising a bull for meat. His name was BullWinkle and the father took his .30-.30 one day to shoot it and go get it butchered. Now mind you, they had the bull for 2 years and grew attached to it like a pet. Well the father came back in the house as he could not kill the animal he fed everyday. So I thought I would offer him, for me to shoot the bull, and he took me up on it. So I walked up to the fence and shot it between the eyes, just as he asked me to do. The family didn't speak to me for 3 days.
Answer this, what did I do wrong? It was dinner - right?

Top of the food chain - baby!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

We were all born to hunt....its in our bloodline from our early ancestors....didn't you knowJust Kiddin...

My uncles brought me in.....August of 1985...I was 10. I got my first button on November 8th w/ a MartinTiger @ 42 pounds....no sites....., 1986...

And from there it was a done deal....I love the outdoors......love it....

YELP YELP YELP YELP.....GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE......

Its time.

Quick Reply: how did you become a hunter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.