Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I was born to hunt
68.89%
I hunt because someone introduced me to the sport
17.78%
I hunt because my friends and family hunt
11.11%
I use hunting as an excuse to get away and relax
2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

how did you become a hunter?

Old 03-28-2008, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how did you become a hunter?

I was introduced to much of the outdoors by our neighbor, a retired painter. He took me out fishing for catfish & bass, hunting racoons and running trap lines. Never got into deer hunting until I was around 23. But once I spent a weekend in the timber during the rut I was hooked.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never hunted until I was 17 years old. I drove myself to the 2 day hunters safety class and got my certificate. My dad finally relented and bought me an old 30/30 Winchester to start hunting with.....it took me probably 3 seasons to kill my first deer. And on that day, I killed two bucks with an old .306 my buddys father lent to me. I killed a 3 pointer(huge huh!) about 5 minutes after sun-up, then I climbed an old pine tree and sat on a huge tree branch about an hour before dark and killed a 5 pointer coming down the side of the mountain. From that day on, I was hooked on hunting and I thank god for putting something inside of me that led me to hunt even though noone in my family did at all. I think part of the reason I began hunting was freedom. I don't like a bunch of rules so I always escaped to the woods as a kid and found stuff to do, finding old junk piles to "stalking" deer with a stick or whatever. I just feel the woods are a magical place where the "real" world is put on hold.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up, and still live in, a rural area where hunting and fishing were what we did to pass the time. When I was young we had no cable, video games or anything else to keeps us inside like kids today so we entertained yourselves all summer with fishing and baseball. Then when it started turning colder it was time to squirrel hunt. Man I wish that my son could've been born back then.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks to a friend of mine for getting me into the sport and showing and teaching how , I'm now hooked .
Old 03-28-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I strongly believe that God put me on this earth hunt the majestic whitetail, seriously. I started hunting when I was 6, and inherited my hunting genes from my dad and grandpa. My grandpa is probably one of the most passionate and knowledgable bear hunter on the east coast and I am positive that I inherited the same gene from him, just in the form of the whitetail.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:08 AM

Spent my entire childhood in the woods andplaying in the creek catching frog,snakes,salamanders,crayfish and chasing critters. It was only natural to take it from there.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

i was born to hunt and also taught
Old 03-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Bartender

I would say due to my father, Amen.I would of anyways but credit goes where credit is due. Those nights of going up north for the 4 hour drive just to watch deer are priceless.
Shinning deer just to see them and scream THERE IS ONE DAD. I miss it but now I have my own 2 carry this on with.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

I actually would have liked to pick all four of them.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

All of the above...My grandpa took me hunting...Hunting has always been a family affair since I can remember...and to me there is no better way to get away and relax. I love the solitude of the woods. I don't really mind if I'm in the woods for weeks and don't get a shot at a deer. Sure, I would like to get a shot everytime I'm out there, but that's part of the thrill.

Quick Reply: how did you become a hunter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.