Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The heart of bowhunting and the passion..Schultzy

Old 03-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The heart of bowhunting and the passion..Schultzy

I know I'm a post-aholic but I like to interact....its my thing.....

I wanted to bring up a member that I thought was really cool and I'm interested in learning from everyone on how they got into hunting and what their views are on the people they have the ut- most respect for...

Shultzy - I really think its cool ....the way Shultzy talks about his dad and the INSTINCTS he discussed about his dad. I think its awesome to have a person that you benchmark from and view as a role model in your journey in the woods...My role models are my uncles...I walked the tall ferns of Michigan at 11 years old in 1986 with them...They taught me everthing...they taught me how to harvest with sticks & they taught me to harvest with Tech...I love them....Now .......my dad...I love him too...but he does not have hunting sickness like us.......he just comes out once per year.....kills with my gun...I gut....I hang....I butcher...I do it all....be we have fun together as father and son....

Who brought you in? How do they make you feel? Do you have a high level of respect for those that brought you in? ...or maybe you learned on your own??....tell us your story

By the way....Where is Dubbya....?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The heart of bowhunting and the passion..Schultzy

My dad, uncles, and grandpa all brought me up in the outdoors.

I owe most of it to my grandpa (rip) who tought me to be MAN. I am the oldest grandkid out of thirteen. I spent the most time with him, and always enjoyed those cabin weekends just me and him fishin'. Can't begin to tell you what I've learned. If you get bored: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2721043&mpage=1&key=&#272104 3

Old 03-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Who brought me in, not anyone in particular as I'd say, I'm self motivated and self taught.

Raised by a single mother, my earliest memory was when my grandfather took me grouse hunting (once) when I was too young to carry a gun. I remember his dog "Duke" a Weimerimer (sp) pointing a grouse. I was more impressed or enthralled with the dog. I have zero memories for hunting after that until I was then 11 and I remember my brother was allowed to go deer hunting with a guy my mother was dating. I remember crying cause I couldn't go. I asked on my own to take the hunter education coarse and I got to go doe hunting when I was 12. Didn't see a deer. I'd ride my bike to shoot doves and pigeons on our family farm. I'd take a fiberglass recurve out into the woods and sit at the base of a tree for deer. (field points). I shot my first deer, a doe when I was 14. My long lost father took me doe hunting. At 15 I asked for a bow for my birthday and got a Black Bear II. I got some arrows, a sight and through it all together on a full length 2117 with 160 gr Thunderheads. (WOW). From then on I was hooked. 16 I could drive which opened more possibilities. I never took (recovered) a deer with that bow until I was 22. I took a couple rifle doe and bucks through the years. At 23 (I think) I got a Jennings Carbon Extreme and I started taking 3D seriously. Numerous Hoyts later I'm where I am today.

All in all I suppose I could give my pap some props but mostly, self taught.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome Post Rob!!
Old 03-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

all of the credit goes to my dad for me. he taught me how to waterfowl hunt, he has guided ducks and geese in southeast missouri. he taught me how to deer hunt, hes taken over 40, in 30 years (only 1 with a bow, so im learning that on my own[8D]). he taught me how to turkey hunt, hes killed over 50 in 25 years. he introduced me to hunting before i can even remember anything, the only reason i know how young i was, is because of pictures. ive killed all of my "firsts" with him present, except for my first squirrel. i also have to thank my mom, for letting us go, just about every weekend in the fall/winter/spring.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wish my dad could read this thread you have Brian! He knows I have the utmost respect for him but I guarantee this thread right here from you would show him how special of a dad and hunting buddy he really is to me. Good thread Michigan!! Me and you are going to do some hunting some day, I guarantee you that!!
Old 03-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

My grandpa. he passed away a little over a year ago.he was 90. I held his hand in the hospital when they pulled his breathing tube. I cried like a baby. True to his nature though he decided to hang around for 3 more days. He is the greatest man that I ever met. He could kick the crap out of any one. But he carried an air of respect that he never had to. I only heard him cuss twice. Once when I stirred up a wasp nest and he got stung on his ear. and when my cousin smacked him in the head with a 1 oz. lead weight casted with a musky rod. He had endless jokes and stories. He could hunt, fish and trap with the best of them. He always had time for us grand kids. He bought each of us a deer rifle when we turned 12.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

MY dad's a golfer, my mom took me fishing and got me involved at an early age in cub scouts.........I was just one of those kids from the start.
My own Sports Afield subscription at age 6. BB guns that I was trusted to use by myself at 8, won my first ever archery tournament when I was 9 the first time I picked up a bow, and bascially went nuts from there. I couldn't get enough fishing (Flyfishing at age 9 as well) but started to think about hunting at age 12.
I suddenly realized I had 6yrs of Sports Afield magazines stacked away that I had never even glanced at teh hunting articles.
Suddenly I was consumed with hunting.
But I still had noone to take me. I would mooch of a buddy and his dad to get me out for deer. Shot my first doe at age 13 with a borrowed .30-30
Got my first real bow (Bear Whitetail Hunter that year as well 1985?) and all thoughts went to bowhunting.
I would walk over a mile to our local gun club and sneak onto their outdoor hay bale paper animal target range and shoot literally from morning until dark sometimes for weeks on end. God I loved to shoot my bow!
I still small game hunted quite a bit though for grouse and rabbits everywhere I could walk but archery was my thing.
The rest is history, success bred success and I seem to excel at most things outdoors that I try........and I know it was that early passion that laid a serious foundation. (Some good old fashioned good genes and hand eye coordination helped from a pretty athletic family )

Everything, and I mean everything I know about hunting, fishing and shooting was book learned at an early age, practiced through trial and error and refined to what it is now. I never had anyone to help, just my parents who always managed to relent to my constant whining for new or different gear. LOL

I can definitely thank my parents for never making me want for anything I ever needed even though they didn't understand where I came from .

Old 03-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad was the one who got me started on the great outdoors… We’ve spent a lot of time out in the field or on the lake together!! Some great memories! Dad didn’t bow hunt though, so that’s something I picked up on my own.

I remember asking for a bow back when I was a young’n (10ish)… I shot the heck out of that little bow, tore up the fletching on those arrows something fierce! Years later I got my first compound and that same year took my first deer, a spot and stalk muley… I’ve been hooked since!
Old 03-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was my dad and my uncles. But he and they didn't have to push much.
Funny story: When my brother and i were like 3 and 5, a rabbit got partially run over in the road in front of our country home. My dad, looking to spare our young impressionable minds, told us to go in the house, which we did. We were looking out the window and saw him with the shovel heading to the road, we immediately ran shouting to him " let us do it dad, we want to do it." Needless to say he knew then that he was in trouble. We both have throughly enjoyed the outdoors from bb gun birds to rifle and archery deer. We were and are fortunate to have a father that had the forsight to buy some land when we were young and my favorite time of year is obviously hunting season, but for the main reason being able to go to the cabin and spend time with the men who pasted on the hunting traditions that I will someday pass on to my future children and nephews.

Quick Reply: The heart of bowhunting and the passion..Schultzy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.