Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tresspasser caught on trail cam

Old 03-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tresspasser caught on trail cam

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Welcome to the world of deer= money[]
Whether or not things are blown out of proportion kind of depends on the situation. As someone pointed out, sheds are now big money. So, people who in the past would have viewed something like this along the lines of a kid stealing a watermelon out of someone's garden are now screaming bloody murder. I've got many many more things on my mind to worry about thansomebodysneaking onto my land to pick up deer antlers. But, I can fully understand why some folks would get really ticked over it.
Its not a big deal until you start finding stands missing, trail cams, bones, gut piles, etc. So is it overreacting until something more serious happens whichmore than likelyeventually will unless you are lucky enough to catch someone like in this situation. My opinion is if they arent allowed to be there, they arent allowed to be there wether they are pickin daisys or poaching deer. I could see a judge making the fines harsher depending on the circumstances, but either way its illegal.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

No trail cams or stands on my land this time of the year. So, like i said it depends on the person and their circumstances. And to repeat, I understand why some folks would get really upset.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

wow! haha, what a story, you almost need a cell phone or satellite phone in some parts nowadays with the warden/cops on speed dial.

Again I go back to placing spike strips etc.....or tiger traps/holes covered up, course if someone get's hurt while trespassing on your property I believe you can be sued for that! So maybe not the tiger trap, personally I'd like to catch a guy in a nice atv/etc...and confiscate it! slice the tires.....then just take it, in fact i think I would if I ever found one, slice all 4 tires, then try and see that guy get his sweet ride out of there.....pushing a 600lbs 4wheeler with 4 flats? load it up baby! then call the cops and tell em hey he doesnt have permission to get his atv back from my property.....he left it here...

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

I am glad the mofo was caught and prosecuted. I had a situation last season where I caught 2 trespassers on my leased land. I was returning from lunch and getting my camo on at the truck and heard 2 shots from the direction of my favorite stand. I came over the hill and a kid was dragging a buttonbuck out of the woods. I was furious and started to go off on him...and his dad came on his radio asking what he shot!

The duo started telling me that they had permission to hunt the land, and I asked what the owners name was...and they came up with Mr. Jones.

I had my cell phone in the truck, and by the time I got it from the truck, they dropped the doe and walked (ran) into the woods. What a father, and what a great lesson and ethics to teach your son. A week later I was in my stand and they came walking directly underneath me! This time I got down and followed them to their truck and called the warden. Turns out the kid had already had his hunting license revoked for shooting a man in the chest with 00 buck! Thought he heard a noise and shot into a bush...the noise was the man. I dont think the warden even did a thing to the father or son because they were neighbors!

Last weekend I put up over 150 posted signs on just about every other tree on property line.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

You gotta be careful with stuff like that. In the last two instances of suspected trepass in my neck of the woods, it turned out that the landowners werewrong because they didn't know their own property lines.You dont want to be the one who ends up in jail.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Story from my Texas hunt.
The outfitter lives 2 hours from his property and in the off season only gets to his ranch 1-2 times a month.
It is an incredible piece of land about 1,200 acres, and as he pulled in he noticed the lock was cut off his gate.
Driving towards the ranch house cautiously he found a truck running a few hundred yards from the road with no one in it.
He started yelling for the guy to come out with no one responding, so he shot a tire out.
Finally two guys came out with guns and they admitted to everything, of course.
So he needed to get to his ranch house to call the authorities over this incident and decided to shot the second tire out so they couldn't swap out the spare.
That's the way it should be, but he has bigger nads than I. Especially after the guys came out of the bush with guns, too many crazies out there???!!!
They did get prosecuted with a slap on the hand and a couple thousand dollar fine.
Gotta remember this is his livelyhood, not a hobby
Old 03-28-2008, 02:14 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Just being devil's advocate....but what's the difference in trespassing to look for sheds and tresspassing to retrieve a deer?
I can legally tresspass to retrieve a deer without permission on posted land without consulting the owner or renter. If the landowner/renter catches me andverbally tells me to leave or stay off their land... Iwould be charge with tresspass ifI refused to leave without my deer or ifI enter his land again.

Best off trying to get permission. It never has been a problem for us.

Tim
Old 03-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just being devil's advocate....but what's the difference in trespassing to look for sheds and tresspassing to retrieve a deer?

Legally there isn't one.... they are both considered tresspassing and are equally punishable under the law. If you don't have permission to cross onto another's land, it doesn't matter if "your deer" ran over there or not.... by the letter of the law... its no longer your deer.....or should I say... it never was your deer because you could not reduce him to possession.

EDIT --> PS... this goes for VA and SC... and I believe NC as well.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TJF

I can legally tresspass to retrieve a deer without permission on posted land without consulting the owner or renter. If the landowner/renter catches me and verbally tells me to leave or stay off their land... I would be charge with tresspass if I refused to leave without my deer or if I enter his land again.

Best off trying to get permission. It never has been a problem for us.

Tim

This is obviously a state by state basis. I know ND has some rather user friendly land laws for hunters.... I and just about every other waterfowler are jealous.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:32 PM

In my state you are allowed to shoot trespassers!Oop's, Iread the lawwrong. Dang, I am in allot of trouble!
Trespassers and pouchers are so bad around me I had to do allot of work and cost putting upfence and signs. Havent had any more problems since but sure I will run accross some A hole again.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:35 PM

In MO, trespassing is a class B misdemeanor:Max. $500 fine/6 months imprisonment.

However, there is also another option for prosecutors. Intead of the $500 fine, the court can require a trespasser to pay the landowner ifthe trespasser"gains" a benefit from the trespass. The payment to the landowner cannot exceed twice the amount of gainor $20,000. In otherwords,ithe landowner could recover twice the value of the antlers. (If the landowner can prove the antlers came off of their property.)

And, yes, a trespasser that falls into a pit or is injured as a result of any "trap" can probably successfully sue you.

Quick Reply: Tresspasser caught on trail cam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.