Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bear Spray More Effective than Guns..

Old 03-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bear Spray More Effective than Guns..

I've been told the spray works very well, better then we all think. I never carry a gun when I'm bear hunting but always wondered if taking some pepper spray wouldn't be a bad idea. Its gotta smell though when carrying it around, that I wouldn't like being its an odd smell they haven't smelt before.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't carry a gun when I bowhunt either. Looking back, it doesn't seem too bright[&:]...especially when I have sows with cubs frequent bait sites[:-]
Old 03-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: live2Draw

a bears nose is 3000 times more sensitive than a bloodhounds...which is 300 times more sensitive than our own. A deer will continue running for 2 minutes after you put a big ole hole in its vitals. If a deer can do it, I bet a bear does it better!! I bear hit in the nose with a gallon of pepper is going down. Regardless of what you might think. Carry em both, let the gun be option A, when it gets up close...the spray is your best bet.
I wouldn't stake my life on that.You put a 335gr hard castbullet in the noodle of a big bruin and it's going down...right now! Even if your shot is not perfect the bear may still react to the loud bang as well as the pain. Remember that deer is also running AWAY from the perceived cause of it's pain. A bear just might do that as well, in fact I've seen it happen. (videos and such)

That being said, andsomeone else posted this too. If the bruin is pissed off enough, there's not much that's gonna stop it from charging. At THAT point I'd MUCH rather have something that if placed properly will stop it in it's tracks. You shut down the nervous system (noodle hit) and you're shutting down that locomotive heading right at you.

Carrying both is not a bad idea but you can bet the FIRST thing I'm reaching for is that "hog leg" on my hip!
Old 03-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lmao! Exciting isn't it. I've had bear crawl my tree and put there paw on my stand 6" away from my foot. Thats happened 3 times and surprisingly It didn't bother me just to bad. Thats why we hunt these critters I guess because its exciting! I've been around sow and cubs a quite of few times and nothing out of the ordinary has happened. Just try not to get between them and all should be good.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Banned

How can anything stop a bear better than a headshot with my .480 Ruger Alaskan? The bear can still chew on me with his watering eyesfrom pepperspray. It is better than no gun though I am sure. I will stick with firepower.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

pepper spray is great but i wouldn't recommend it if your going to make a rug.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:57 PM

Wow....I'm suprised at the answers. Being a bear hunting guide myself, if its in close I would rather have a can of pepper spray any day than a gun. In the heat of the moment with a bear charging you do you actually think you are going to make a perfect shot on his noodle? Give me the pepper spray, more effective and no need for accuracy.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

All you need to do is outrun your hunting partner.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:52 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: _Dan

Wow....I'm suprised at the answers. Being a bear hunting guide myself, if its in close I would rather have a can of pepper spray any day than a gun. In the heat of the moment with a bear charging you do you actually think you are going to make a perfect shot on his noodle? Give me the pepper spray, more effective and no need for accuracy.
I don't think many people could Dan. Most people, myself included have absolutely no concept of what a full on charge of a mature Grizzly Bear is like. It's easy to sit at home in the midwest and talk about popping one in the knob, different strory when on the wrong end of their anger.

Have a buddy that is a elk, mule deer, antelope and mountain lion guide in WY. Grew up in the WY mountains, has hunted the Bridger Teton Wilderness area for years. No stranger to bears or bear country. He took a full on charge by a big sow Grizzly a few years ago.

He walked onto a high mountain park and the bear walked out on the other side, about 100 yards between them he estimated. Said they watched each other for what seemed like hours and the bear woofed, dropped down on all 4's and came at him. He said it was unreal how fast the bear covered 90 yards, she got 10 yards from him slammed on the breaks, stood up on all 4's woofed at him, then proceeded to knock down a dead tree popping her teeth and growling. She then turned around and walked away and never looked back.

I asked of course, why didn't you shoot her. He laughed and said I didn't even remember I was holding a gun. Said he was always in the I'll shoot one if it comes at me camp until it actually happened. Said, had he even been capable of raising the gun he'd have never hit the bear and no way he would have had time to drop the rifle draw a sidearm, aim and hit the bear before she was on him. Said most all of the people that say, I'd just shoot them have never experienced what he did, nor do they have any idea what that is like. He also said, after that experience, in his opinion most bears that are shot in the lower 48 in a claim of self defense there was likely no self defense involved.

I'll take the pepper spray, like you said accuracy doesn't matter. I never really thought I'd be capapble of stopping a charge, after a first hand account from my friend, I'm sure of it.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: _Dan

x2! I've never used it but like I stated in my post from what I've heard it works very well. If I ever bring anything in the bear woods with me it would be pepper spray hands down.

Quick Reply: Bear Spray More Effective than Guns..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.