Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"selling out"

Old 03-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: "selling out"

I feel I sold myself out this last year bear hunting, specially this last year when I knew I had 400+lb and 500+lb bear at a few of our baits. All of these were easily P@Y and some probably B@C. I did get my bear last fall but it was not the bear that I was targeting. So yes I sold out, I don't have the time to keep driving 4 hours up north every weekend to hunt these critters plus the expense of gas would kick my butt! All in all I was still very very happy with my 135lb bear. If I lived closer I wouldn't shoot any bear that I wasn't targeting. With the whitetails I don't sell out I don't think. I won't shoot a little buck because I can't get the one I'm after. How ever I will shoot a different P@Y buck if he gives me the opportunity. Maybe thats selling out too. Is it?
Old 03-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Dominant Buck

How ever I will shoot a different P@Y buck if he gives me the opportunity. Maybe thats selling out too. Is it?
Hell no!....lol

Only you can answer that Schultzy.....and it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:13 PM

I'm not quite as focused as some. If another comes by and is big enough to make mutter "OMG" then he'll do, and I don't think I'll have any regrets. I hope.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shawneeslinger

Every year I develop a "hit list" based on the deer I am familiar with(Photos, sheds and encounters.) If an unfamiliar deer shows up that meets the criteria I've already established in creating my list, I'll whack him. To me a sellout would be shooting a deer that doesn't meet my standards just for the sake of taking up space on the meat pole.
This is exactly how I roll[8D]
Old 03-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

How ever I will shoot a different P@Y buck if he gives me the opportunity. Maybe thats selling out too. Is it?
Hell no!....lol

Only you can answer that Schultzy.....and it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks.
This last year was an awesome year according to our trail camera's. I know we had 4 and possibly 5 bucks that were bookers on camera. The booker I got this last year we never seen on camera, I wasn't after him and almost didn't shoot him. I had him at 12 yards for over a half an hour and finally decided I was going to take him which I damn near almost screwed up when my stand pinged when I drew on him.[:@] I had a nice 10 point on camera that was in that 150" range, that was the one I was after. The funny thing is I only hunted 3 times this last year. I started hunting the pre rut on October 19th. I skipped a few days and went back out on the 23rd and possibly seen the same buck I later got but he wouldn't come in any closer then 35 yards. The next evening on the 24th I brought the rattling antlers and rattled in the buck I ended up shooting. I feel as If I didn't even earn the buck I got last year being I only hunted 3 times. Weather I sold myself short or not I enjoyed the experience I had with him in the woods. Thanks for the kind words Jeff.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Hell no!....lol

This last year was an awesome year according to our trail camera's. I know we had 4 and possibly 5 bucks that were bookers on camera. The booker I got this last year we never seen on camera, I wasn't after him and almost didn't shoot him. I had him at 12 yards for over a half an hour and finally decided I was going to take him which I damn near almost screwed up when my stand pinged when I drew on him.[:@] I had a nice 10 point on camera that was in that 150" range, that was the one I was after. The funny thing is I only hunted 3 times this last year. I started hunting the pre rut on October 19th. I skipped a few days and went back out on the 23rd and possibly seen the same buck I later got but he wouldn't come in any closer then 35 yards. The next evening on the 24th I brought the rattling antlers and rattled in the buck I ended up shooting. I feel as If I didn't even earn the buck I got last year being I only hunted 3 times. Weather I sold myself short or not I enjoyed the experience I had with him in the woods. Thanks for the kind words Jeff.
No way you could have sold your self short, with that sentance added. Congrats on all the success, Steve.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:10 PM

I am not a huge target "one" and go for him. I tend to pick areas with a lot of traffic moving through.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I say if you are not going to be satisfied or pleased with what you shoot there is an easy way to remedy that,don't shoot.
Having said that I have shot animals that I wished I hadn't in the past and I did feel like I sold out or gave in.Honestly I feel like the animal deserves better.Either be thankful and satisfied or proud or don't kill.I believe it to be part of the evolution of many hunters.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never targeted a specific animal until I shot at it.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:27 PM

I always like to scout 2 or 3 good bucksto hunt, but ifsomething different walks past I wont think twice about pulling the trigger. I hunted a perticuler buck hard in 06 never had a shotandended uptaking a slightly smaller buck.I was very happy untill I walked back to the truck and kicked theSOB upno more then 70 yards from where I parked. It all worked out in the end though I gothim this year with the smokepole.

Quick Reply: "selling out"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.