Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
September 15-20
2.26%
September 21-25
0%
September 26-30
3.01%
October 1-5
1.50%
October 6-10
3.01%
October 11-15
3.76%
October 16-20
3.76%
October 21-25
3.01%
October 26-31
15.79%
November 1-5
17.29%
November 6-10
18.05%
November 11-15
8.27%
November 16-20
5.26%
November 21-25
4.51%
November 26-30
1.50%
December 1-5
1.50%
December 6-10
2.26%
December 11-15
0.75%
December 16-20
0.75%
December 21-Christmas
2.26%
Between Christmas and New Years
0.75%
January 1-5
0%
January 6-10
0%
January 11-15
0%
January 16-20
0.75%
After January 21
0%
Before September 14
0%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Archery buck kills - timing.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Archery buck kills - timing.

last year my buddy tagged his opening morning..9/29?? it was a 1.5yo 7pt...

i tagged mine 10/13 in the morning...a year and a half 6-7pt..(main frame 6 with a 1" sticker on the right base making it a 5x2 legally)

heres mine incase ya'll forget what it looked like this pic will never get old...oh...i did have it blown up too...im gunna have a hall of fame when i move out of the parents house i got a few pics blown up of me and my catches/kills...just got nowhere to hang them....hmmm mom hangs corny pics of me all dressed up and stuff on the walls...why cant i do the same with my own pics... she already said the mount cant go anywhere but in my own room! i was mad..i wanted him in the living room!!!

cant wait to get him back from the taxi!!!! been a lonnnng while since i seen that rack...opted to leave it with the taxi so i didnt ruin it...we just moved in nov...new house been under construction and this and that..just felt better if it was safe and sound at the taxis place....not huge...but my first...maybe hold out for something a little bigger this season...maybe not...see how im feeling, what ive been seeing, how much time i have to hunt, etc...one day i'll get picky...still trying to hold myself to "nothing smaller than him" but we will see how that goes...
Old 03-26-2008, 11:18 PM

I dident get to go hunting this year but I will hopefuly next year.

My buddy got one on the 10th of october, and another one the 1 of november.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome results guys. Thanks.

A couple things that surprised me:
[ol][*]The spike between 10/25 and 10/26. I'm not sure if that's when everybody's vacations kicked in, orb/c the later period encompassed a weekend - but definitely a marked increase.[*]I also expected to see a bigger spike at the beginning of the season - when the September hunters are able to key in on late summer feeding patterns. [/ol]
Mauser - looks like you guys are in a good area. Tough to find white oaks in/around the Eastern Hemlock stands. I see some whitey leaves in the foreground there. That area will keep producing throughout October as long as the mast is in there.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

quik, you probably know it was taken at my buddies camp in Jefferson county...the stand is actually at the 30 or so yards off the bottom of the hillside on a flat before it drops to the creek bottom. buddy says its always been an evening stand for him...he tagged his opening day and said i could goto camp with him that weekend and hunt. i saw a nice one opening day in my honey hole and wanted to give it a 2 week rest and wait for a little colder weather to hunt it again, so i said sure i'll go....friday evening i rattled in a neat looking 4pt up on the ridge farther down the ridge...that morning i had him walk me to his famous hemlock stand...

really neat area...

shot him just to the left of the young hardwood tree in the middle of the blurry pic(taken right after i watched him fall)

he came out of the hemlocks to the right there...buddy says they bed in the "spoil piles" that are in the direction he came from...real thick nasty bottom/small mining ponds and such...

heres a view of the stand....only pic i didnt have for my collection..took it in flintlock season when we were up grouse hunting. took it from where the buck was standing when i shot him..

i know he got 1 bow kill from that stand one evening a year or 2 ago...and a couple rifle bucks from that stand...the hillside is up to the left of that pic...active scrape was up to the left as well...heard a buck working the scrape that morning before i shot mine..caught a glimpse of it before it disappeared into the hemlocks right where mine fell...another 1.5yo..couldnt count points..snuck in behind me. the stand is on a cherry i believe..and the hemlock grows REALLLLY close to the cherry..top of the hemlock is gone, but its a pretty wide tree...viewing from the stand can be tough...1 deer busted us walking in that morning, had another bust me on stand...then saw that first buck, then shot mine a half hour later...when he went on his death run a bigger bodied deer took off that i never saw...awesome morning...awesome spot....awesome deer....for being 10/12 and 10/13 they responded to calling really well. they go unpressured till rifle season practically...couple early doe hunters on the other side of the mountain..but thats about it...and, yearly there are a few bigguns known to haunt the area...theyve killed a couple in rifle season that were GOOD bucks...exspecially for "mountain bucks"

better believe i will be there this year if i dont tag out...probably go up that same weekend again this year, then if i dont tag out go up 2 weeks after that towards the end of october...they aughta be really heating up around that time..

as you can see in the pictures, its kind of the edge of the hemlocks meeting the hardwoods...i think thats key as to why its a hot spot...as well as the oaks and cherrys...kicking myself...i forgot to locate that scrape location in the winter when we were up there...i like the area but dont know if i like the restricted view from that stand...but i dont know if theres a better stand location...those hemlocks block alot of ground reguardless really...and i DO like the fact that they have to be 10+yds away to get a shot at them..pretty much all the shooting is 10-25yds..mine was 21 or 22yds...loved that shot
Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Schultzy, it was. I was tagged out with my buck and Doe and just tagging along with him. I used my climber 40 yards from him, seen the buck, heard him stop it, seen the shot and watched the buck pile up after only going 40 yards, there was a fist pumping contest soon following Thats what its all about Thanks!!
ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I bet that was neat Dan seeing your kids buck go down. Thats just cool as hell if you ask me!! Good bucks guys.