Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Swipe the Plastic--I pay it off
27.10%
Swipe the Plastic--Im in debt up to my eyeballs
5.61%
Cold hard cash(also debit/checks)
61.68%
SHHHHH!!..... I know some people.
2.80%
You know that guy that's been missing his camera, feeder, etc??
2.80%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

How do you pay?

Old 03-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How do you pay?

ORIGINAL: davidmil

The bottom line is live within your means. And your means should include something put into savings. I don't care if your income is so low you only have a couple dollars left after food for the family. Put something up and don't let it be for guns and ammo. That's a separate account. I have quite a bit of money put away. I did it when it wasn't always convenient. I did it so I could stop work at 60 and not worry about paying the bills.
Now this, I agree with 100%
Old 03-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: bow huntert

I have a checking account I useonly for hunting season during Oct-Jan. I put a small amount in it every week.
Great Idea!
The account does not have alot of interest but $20 week for one yeargoes along way for gas food an other stuff. But, only for hunting season nothing else, that is what I tell myself.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

For one, if you put your money in a retirement account it is not liquid without a 10% penalty. Thus, you would lose quite a bit of money toobtain it.Also, you do realize that a roth is post tax dollars, right?

If you have the cash to pay off the note the spread you are making still is not worth it IMHO. BTW, most peoplewho borrow on vehicles don't have that amount of money saved. That is the reason they are borrowing money in the first place.

Bringing up the $300k borrowed by the business man is not a fair comparison. You are talking consumer debt versus venture capital debt. I might also add that 80% of businesses fail, and $300k is really rolling the dice. If you want to build a business I would suggest starting out slow and doing it with cash.

Oh well, agree to disagree.

I am with you brother and working on getting there myself.

I like the fact that if a person would take the average car payment they make and saved it in mutuall funds each month like a car paymentthat by retirement age they could retire a multi millionare.
Yeah, if you put the average car payment (like $470 a month) into growth stock mutual funds averaging 12% (which is the stock market avg for the last 70 years) at age 25 to age 65 every month you would have close to $5 million. This is where Dave yells, hope you like thecar LOL!!!

Even if you have debt just at least get involved with a roth or traditional 401k. At least have a long term game plan, so you don't have to workuntil your 80. My wife's uncle is still working in a warehouse at age 64, because he can't afford toretire on social security. I talked with him and he said he wishes he would have had the vision to put away money when he was younger. I trulyfeel sorry for theman, because his arthritis kills him and heisstill unloading trucks at his age.

The greatest lesson I have learned about money is compound interest is the most powerful force, either working for you or against you.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TFOX

For one, if you put your money in a retirement account it is not liquid without a 10% penalty. Thus, you would lose quite a bit of money toobtain it.Also, you do realize that a roth is post tax dollars, right?

If you have the cash to pay off the note the spread you are making still is not worth it IMHO. BTW, most peoplewho borrow on vehicles don't have that amount of money saved. That is the reason they are borrowing money in the first place.

Bringing up the $300k borrowed by the business man is not a fair comparison. You are talking consumer debt versus venture capital debt. I might also add that 80% of businesses fail, and $300k is really rolling the dice. If you want to build a business I would suggest starting out slow and doing it with cash.

Oh well, agree to disagree.

I am with you brother and working on getting there myself.

I like the fact that if a person would take the average car payment they make and saved it in mutuall funds each month like a car paymentthat by retirement age they could retire a multi millionare.
Yeah, if you put the average car payment (like $470 a month) into growth stock mutual funds averaging 12% (which is the stock market avg for the last 70 years) at age 25 to age 65 every month you would have close to $5 million. This is where Dave yells, hope you like thecar LOL!!!

Even if you have debt just at least get involved with a roth or traditional 401k. At least have a long term game plan, so you don't have to workuntil your 80. My wife's uncle is still working in a warehouse at age 64, because he can't afford toretire on social security. I talked with him and he said he wishes he would have had the vision to put away money when he was younger. I trulyfeel sorry for theman, because his arthritis kills him and heisstill unloading trucks at his age.

The greatest lesson I have learned about money is compound interest is the most powerful force, either working for you or against you.

You tell people this and they think your crazy,especially right now with the market like it is but the average will play out in the long run.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is why they call it an average. To me it is weird because when stocks go on sale i.e. the market is down a lot of people want to sell. When the market goes upmore people want to buy. If you do that you are buying when it is high and selling it low. I agree, just ride it out and let it do its thing. Wow, Inever thought I would talk money on a hunting board.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is why they call it an average. To me it is weird because when stocks go on sale i.e. the market is down a lot of people want to sell. When the market goes upmore people want to buy. If you do that you are buying when it is high and selling it low. I agree, just ride it out and let it do its thing. Wow, Inever thought I would talk money on a hunting board.

The sad reality is you need money to hunt nowadays.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

I am goingto be honest I went bankrupt a few years ago and since then I have been a cash man. I don't need to act like I have a bunch of money I just need to live within my means and than God for giving me a second chance.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want it badly enough......there IS a way to do it. But you can't be afraid to work for it. Nothin's free in this world. The Hoyt dealer is not gonna show up @ your door and say Here, have this brand new Katera on us. Easton won't bang down your door to lavish you w/ arrows. You gotta earn it. It's called sweat. And it's good for ya.
Can't agree more.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:30 AM

cash money