Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Interesting reference to "Staging Areas" in another thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Interesting reference to "Staging Areas" in another thread

Got me to thinking.....

Who hunts these spots? Who has a good staging area to hunt? What is the purpose (for the deer) of this "staging area"....and why do you think they like it? What is the draw for them to this spot?

I have a GREAT staging area that's been my top producer for bucks in the short time I've been hunting them. It's also a doe haven......hence the reason I hunt does FOR bucks. I'm playing the hand I was dealt to my advantage.

This area is (area I have access to) is only about 5 acres. It's an oak flat that has about 4-5 different mast producing species. Deer will "stage" in this flat before darkness......and re-stage in this area before going into their bedding area(s).....which is only 40-50 yds from the oak flat......before bedding in the mornings. They routinely go in and out of this area in the mornings.....as they feel it'sa safe place for them to be out in the daylight. I routinely have deer in this flat on up into the late morning hours.

I wouldn't consider this area a "destination" food source.....because there are other mast producing areas that they venture to in the evenings. I suppose this is due to their natural browsing tendencies.

It really is a GREAT spot, though.....very near their sanctuary. I believe it wouldn't be NEARLY the spot it is.......if I had access to their bedding area(s).

So.....do you hunt areas like this?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Interesting reference to "Staging Areas" in another thread

I try to hunt travel corridors, mainly because I've never found a true "staging area". Thedeer I see are moving through the woods I hunt to get to a food source. I've never seen a deer hold up in the edge of a woods until it felt is was safe to move on into the field. They normally poke their head out and go to feeding.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Site Bouncer

I hunt staging areas. On my families property in southern Illinois I prefer to hunt them. This is due to how the terrain is set up. Lots of fingers of timber between open rolling fields. I find the paths most traveled across the fields to and from bedding or food sources and that (most of the time) leads me to staging areas.

For some reason or another the deer just feel comfortable there probably due to cover, view, and a host of other variables and they willcongregate before crossing the fields to move to food sources or bedding areas. During the rut the does keep to their schedule (for the most part) and continue using the staging areas.......The bucks know this as well and that's where they can be found.

I'm a big fan of hunting beading areas especially where the terrain makes them abundant.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Dominant Buck

For some reason or another the deer just feel comfortable there probably due to cover, view, and a host of other variables and they willcongregate before crossing the fields to move to food sources or bedding areas. During the rut the does keep to their schedule (for the most part) and continue using the staging areas.......The bucks know this as well and that's where they can be found.
THIS .........is why I hunt does to get to the bucks.

Exactly why.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

THIS .........is why I hunt does to get to the bucks.

Exactly why.
It's also why if I'm hunting for a particular buck that I've been scouting, I'll leave the does alone, the last thing I want is to disturb their routines in any way. It's caused me to sit in the stand far longer than I've wanted to before getting down....on more than one occasion.

Hunting staging areas is just an extension of hunting does to get to bucks...Something I prefer to do. It's hard to fight that "urge" even by the wisest of bucks during "that time of the year"I know they will find the does......I just hope I'm there whenthey do.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do not like to hunt staging or destination areas.... I do not want to be where they are going, I want to catch them on their way... IMO it is to easy to get busted hunting staging / destination areas. To many "eyes and ears" if you will for my liking. [/align][/align]I am justnot comfortable going in or coming out in the darkof an area that I know has good odds of having deerutilizing it. Not worth the chance of spooking them to me.[/align][/align]I will hunt a destination area rarely if conditions call for it though.[/align]
Old 03-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Hunting staging areas is just an extension of hunting does to get to bucks...Something I prefer to do. It's hard to fight that "urge" even by the wisest of bucks during "that time of the year"I know they will find the does......I just hope I'm there whenthey do.
EXACTLY!

I know my way (our way) is foreign to some......but it's what I have at my disposal. "Patience" is a great word. You just have to KNOW that they WILL find the does. They haven't disappointed, yet.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I am justnot comfortable going in or coming out in the darkof an area that I know has good odds of having deerutilizing it. Not worth the chance of spooking them to me.
Agreed, Scott....and this why I've adapted and I get into this area REALLY early. I wanna be there in the morning before ANY of them get "home". It's also why I watch my travel routes.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: buckeye

I do not like to hunt staging or destination areas.... I do not want to be where they are going, I want to catch them on their way... IMO it is to easy to get busted hunting staging / destination areas. To many "eyes and ears" if you will for my liking.
[/align]
[/align]I am justnot comfortable going in or coming out in the darkof an area that I know has good odds of having deerutilizing it. Not worth the chance of spooking them to me.
[/align]
[/align]I will hunt a destination area rarely if conditions call for it though.
[/align]
Don't misunderstand me..I don't set up too close. I like to catch them coming and going as well, I just prefer to set up closer than you I guess. I try to find a spot as close as I can without putting myself in a position where I'll spook them. Like I said the last thing I want to do is upset their routines.....I guess I'm just stealthy.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I have a GREAT staging area that's been my top producer for bucks in the short time I've been hunting them. It's also a doe haven......hence the reason I hunt does FOR bucks. I'm playing the hand I was dealt to my advantage.

This area is (area I have access to) is only about 5 acres. It's an oak flat that has about 4-5 different mast producing species. Deer will "stage" in this flat before darkness......and re-stage in this area before going into their bedding area(s).....which is only 40-50 yds from the oak flat......before bedding in the mornings. They routinely go in and out of this area in the mornings.....as they feel it'sa safe place for them to be out in the daylight. I routinely have deer in this flat on up into the late morning hours.

I wouldn't consider this area a "destination" food source.....because there are other mast producing areas that they venture to in the evenings. I suppose this is due to their natural browsing tendencies.

It really is a GREAT spot, though.....very near their sanctuary. I believe it wouldn't be NEARLY the spot it is.......if I had access to their bedding area(s).
Your comments are spot on from my point of veiw. I have a 'staging' area (the base of a wide draw) that I hunt where deer pile up before moving out to cropland. While I consistanly see deer there, generally they are little bucks and does. Using a trail cam, however, I have seen the big boys that pass through there in the night, after shooting hours. The reason I hunt it is I do not have permission to hunt near where they are coming from (bedding area). I am sure staging areas can pay off, but it has been my experiance that getting closer to bedding areas is a better bet for intercepting mature bucks in the 'prerut'.

Quick Reply: Interesting reference to "Staging Areas" in another thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.