Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bucks still carrying their antlers. Explanations?

Old 03-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bucks still carrying their antlers. Explanations?

So, after 7 fruitless (well, not technically "fruitless" - but pretty lousy) trips out shed hunting, I still have basically nothing to show for myself.

I admit it. It's starting to make me mad. I hate losing.

First of all, I keep having people tell me that they're seeing bucks still carrying both sides. Adding credence to these claims, I have a good buddy with a camera out - and he's routinely getting pics of bucks with antlers still intact (below). Yesterday, my dad calls me and says he almost mashed a pretty big buck on his way to work. His definition of "big buck" would be a 12" 4x4. So, take that with a grain of salt. But anyway... I really started wondering...

So last night, curiosity got the best of me, and I went spotting. I saw at least 6 different bucks (out of about 50 deer)still carrying both sides. Considering that our buck/doe ratio is really bad, that's an abnormally high percentage.

HELLO?! It's almost APRIL! What's up with that?

I'm sure we've all seen that one deer who carries his rack until pretty late in thespring, but this is widespread - not just an isolated thing. All appear to be 1.5's. I didn't see any 2.5's still carrying. But then again, that age bracket is pretty rare around here... So I just might not haveSEEN any 2.5's. Whatev.

So, is there any rational explanation for an entire herd in a particular geographic area to be carrying their antlers MUCH later than they normally do?

I know it isn't a lack of stress. These deer get hunted to death and there's not a whole lot of good food left, so I know that their stress levels have been pretty high since October.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bucks still carrying their antlers. Explanations?

Honestly every year I see a few bucks in April with there racks on yet. Fairly common from what I've seen. I wonder if these bucks that are carrying there racks late were late fawns when they were born?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are doing it just to tick you off. The longer they hang on to them, the less you will find before green-up. They know as the king, they are at your mercy whether you kill them, but they are trying thier best to annoy you any way possible.[8D][8D]

As for a scientific reason.....I have none.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

The problem could be that those deer do not have antlers. Everyone knows that deer have horns, and they don't loose their horns, ever, PERIOD.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Splitear_Leland

The problem could be that those deer do not have antlers. Everyone knows that deer have horns, and they don't loose their horns, ever, PERIOD.
WHAT!?!?!
Old 03-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you were truly the king of archery you would shoot those antlers off the deer to collect them at the very least. I would expect the king to be wrasslin' the antlers off the deer's head.

For shame.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:01 PM

are you serious
Old 03-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dang quick [&o]I know you have put in some major ground and pound this year, it can be hard on a guy when these things happen [:@]I to have seen bucks into April as well still carring (racks)<<<I just said racks but if i remember right your scouting new land, so your efforts are not totally wasted, your getting some quality scouting in man Hang in there King!!
Old 03-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

You said they all appear to be 1.5 year olds right? Well, if thats the case you actually have a pretty decent age structure among the bucks on your property. The older, dominant bucks do of the breeding we all know that. This leaves the younger subordinate bucks at a disadvatage when it comes to the lady folk. They are basically beaten into submission and dont get as many opportunites to breed during the rut. This reults in their testicles not receeding as early, thus meaning they still have seamen in their testicles, thus meaning they are still able to breed. I hope this made sense?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The latest i saw a deer w/ antlers was apr.1 and he only had 1 side left.
why they drop when they drop is beyond me.

Quick Reply: Bucks still carrying their antlers. Explanations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.