Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The String Splitter: Your Opinions

Old 03-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: The String Splitter: Your Opinions

Looks like a pain in the butt to tie in. https://commerce.customsitehosting.com/sterner/pdf/inst.pdf

They say it will ONLY slow your bow 4-6 fps but some may be slowed 8 fps. Not just a little slow down. AND... the dang thing cost $17. That seems a bit pricey for peep. LOL
Old 03-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not kidding you. The largest one weighs that much. They are huge and made from aluminum, weigh the largest one, it'll weight that much.

And I diagree with the statement, that the legs will squeeze together, they are definatelly tough little peep sights. They're aluminum compared to the magnesium meta peeps.

ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: Matt/TN

Justin, these things are so HEAVY it isn't funny. They are constructed out of aluminum. I weighed the largest one and it weighed like 67grains I believe. Too heavy and bulky for me.
Not disagreeing with you Matt, but 67 grains? When I picked up my new Katera yesterday I looked at them....unless it was made of lead, it looked no where near 67 grains to me.

Maybe I'm mistaken.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:04 PM

I'm surprised we haven't heard from the "no-peep" users.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:58 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

I'm surprised we haven't heard from the "no-peep" users.
They all found the thing wouldn't stay in place and have reverted back to a peep or REALLY no peep.[8D]
Old 03-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

that was another of the issues i had with the string splitter when i tied it in no matter how i did it i had about a 16th of an inch movement up and down it just didnt sem to want to stay in one place but i couldnt get on with it so its gone as i said anyone who wants one can just contact me and i will send them mine
Old 03-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Justin

I'm aware, but I've always used a bigger peep for hunting purposes specifically to allow more light through so I can see better at dawn and dusk. Obviously there's a market for "bigger" peep sights because they're all over the place and a lot of guys are using them. We're talking 5/16" and 1/4" peeps. As it is, I have no trouble with accuracy in hunting situations using a larger peep so I really don't see a reason to use a smaller one. Unless I'm shooting paper, I don't see the benefit.

Here's a really bad illustration of how my sight picture looks now with my current peep vs. what I think it would look like with this string splitter thing.

justin, thats how my sight picture looks too, and i shoot great with it like that
if how youre doing it works, whats the need to try and "fix" anything?