Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The String Splitter: Your Opinions

Old 03-25-2008, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The String Splitter: Your Opinions

I'm aware, but I've always used a bigger peep for hunting purposes specifically to allow more light through so I can see better at dawn and dusk. Obviously there's a market for "bigger" peep sights because they're all over the place and a lot of guys are using them. We're talking 5/16" and 1/4" peeps. As it is, I have no trouble with accuracy in hunting situations using a larger peep so I really don't see a reason to use a smaller one. Unless I'm shooting paper, I don't see the benefit.

Here's a really bad illustration of how my sight picture looks now with my current peep vs. what I think it would look like with this string splitter thing.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Justin....

I center my entire pin housing inside my peep and it creates a "halo" around the pin housing (small area of light around the entire rim). I've never seen it done the way you do it.......But I'd wonder why you don't get a larger pin housing or a smaller peep.

Just a thought. It would "seem" to be faster to get everything centered.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Justin if I ever get to the point I am not good enough to shoot without a peep, I am going with the one is this thread. I really like it.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm just not clear why you feel a need to snug your sight bracket up against the top of the peep circle. Just lay the same amount of daylight all around the site through the peep. And if you have the site outlined with a white reflective tape it's even better. Your eye will naturally center the two.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm just not clear why you feel a need to snug your sight bracket up against the top of the peep circle. Just lay the same amount of daylight all around the site through the peep. And if you have the site outlined with a white reflective tape it's even better. Your eye will naturally center the two.
Exactly what I'm saying, David......but I know it's easier (I just went to a smaller aperture on my targe bow) when the amount of light surrounding your sight pin housing (i.e. the 'halo') is smaller. It's helped my accuracy, tremendously that they are now more symmetrical.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always felt that with a bigger peep there was too much guess work put into trying to make sure that the pin guard was centered. Especially with changing the angle or direction of shot during a hunting situation it's just one more thing to pay attention to. It always made more sense to me from an accuracy perspective to snug it right up to the top so that I knew it was in the same spot every time, not just close to the same spot. I agree with you Jeff that it is probably a lot easier when using a small peep because there's not as much room for mistake.

Getting back to the topic at hand, since I already shoot this way with a fair degree of accuracy and am comfortable with it, does it now make sense why the String Splitter would possibly be beneficial for me?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Getting back to the topic at hand, since I already shoot this way with a fair degree of accuracy and am comfortable with it, does it now make sense why the String Splitter would possibly be beneficial for me?
If this is what you're used to, anyways (your method).......I can't see how adding MORE light would be a detriment.

Yes. it would make sense.

Good luck.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:54 AM
Dominant Buck

YUP, you don't have to please anyone but yourself.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

i have two of them i tried both of the sizes i have and just could not get the grouping i got with a g5 metapeep just my opinion you welcome to have mine dude if you wanna try it dont buy one as i dont think you will keep it in my opinion to many variables
pm me an address i will send it to you
Old 03-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Justin, these things are so HEAVY it isn't funny. They are constructed out of aluminum. I weighed the largest one and it weighed like 67grains I believe. Too heavy and bulky for me.

Quick Reply: The String Splitter: Your Opinions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.