Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rage broadheads

Old 03-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rage broadheads

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

It just sounds like a "my buddy says he hit him perfect and he never found him story".
Sorry, but you are makingassumptions.

I don't really care who uses what, I really don't. That question on topic dealt with "Your thoughts?". I gave my experience. I was there, I saw the actual deer cross a field in front of me. It's entrance wound was blatant, and the deer did bleed very well for the most part.I never saw or met the kid that shot the deer until he was looking for it. I am not here to lie or make things up. I also helped him track it for about mile mostly uphill. I mentioned the equipment he used because I thought it was relevant.

I know people kill animals with the head, I won't argue that.But with such a large mechanical blade, IMO, I would be mindful when shooting long distances with lightweight arrows.
Bob what you say makes allot of sense but you can't tell that to half the people on here without getting jumped on. I could care less what people use either but one has to have some common sense in how to use there equipment. So many don't!
And so many tell third party stories on herethat it is difficult to tell when someone is and when someone is actually speaking from personal experience

Now, correct me if I am wrong but a 3 blade broadhead with a 1 3/16" diameterwill slice 1.78" of flesh through the animal (that is the 2D slice that would be projected). A 2 blade with 2" diameter will slice 2" of flesh, or 11% more. 11% more is definitely significant, but doesn't it seem strange that it would make the difference between a complete pass through and partial penetration given a "typical" hunting set up that (approx 60 ft-ls of KE)? I could be way off here, and if I am please let me know. That is why I asked for more information and clarity. If you want to view that as "jumping on" someone, fine.

Perhaps we could all relax our online egos, me included,and just actually try to help each other. Wouldn't that be something?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:19 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Kansas, not sure how your elk hunt is being set up but if going through and outfitter you need to check with them as well. Some don't allow mechanicals for elk.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:30 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Now, correct me if I am wrong but a 3 blade broadhead with a 1 3/16" diameterwill slice 1.78" of flesh through the animal (that is the 2D slice that would be projected). A 2 blade with 2" diameter will slice 2" of flesh, or 11% more. 11% more is definitely significant, but doesn't it seem strange that it would make the difference between a complete pass through and partial penetration given a "typical" hunting set up that (approx 60 ft-ls of KE)? I could be way off here, and if I am please let me know.

The blades also have to deploy which will take energy. I think the shape also has a lot to do with it. The rage or any other mechanical when deployed will have a huge amount of resitance when traveling through tissue. A fixed blade head is tapered and won't have near the resistance.

The combination of larger cutting diameter, blades having to open and large amount of resistance against the head would all come into play. I believe that is why the KE recommendations are in place and also whypenetration can be an issue with the mechanical heads. You need the force to overcome those issues. If shooting a borderline setup 40 yards could be a problem.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: huntingson

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

It just sounds like a "my buddy says he hit him perfect and he never found him story".
Sorry, but you are makingassumptions.

I don't really care who uses what, I really don't. That question on topic dealt with "Your thoughts?". I gave my experience. I was there, I saw the actual deer cross a field in front of me. It's entrance wound was blatant, and the deer did bleed very well for the most part.I never saw or met the kid that shot the deer until he was looking for it. I am not here to lie or make things up. I also helped him track it for about mile mostly uphill. I mentioned the equipment he used because I thought it was relevant.

I know people kill animals with the head, I won't argue that.But with such a large mechanical blade, IMO, I would be mindful when shooting long distances with lightweight arrows.
Bob what you say makes allot of sense but you can't tell that to half the people on here without getting jumped on. I could care less what people use either but one has to have some common sense in how to use there equipment. So many don't!
And so many tell third party stories on herethat it is difficult to tell when someone is and when someone is actually speaking from personal experience

Now, correct me if I am wrong but a 3 blade broadhead with a 1 3/16" diameterwill slice 1.78" of flesh through the animal (that is the 2D slice that would be projected). A 2 blade with 2" diameter will slice 2" of flesh, or 11% more. 11% more is definitely significant, but doesn't it seem strange that it would make the difference between a complete pass through and partial penetration given a "typical" hunting set up that (approx 60 ft-ls of KE)? I could be way off here, and if I am please let me know. That is why I asked for more information and clarity. If you want to view that as "jumping on" someone, fine.

Perhaps we could all relax our online egos, me included,and just actually try to help each other. Wouldn't that be something?
What did Bob say that would contradict a bunch of BS? Nothing from what I could tell. Bob's been there and done that, that right there speaks volumes and he is the last guy who is going to fill someone full of bull, he's here to help and not argue! As I am as well here to try and help if I can. As for the ego thing, no ego here. If I didn't know Bob I wouldn't of said what I said, read some of his post, he knows his stuff and there isn't even a little ego in that guy. Hopefully what Bob said will help another guy out who's thinking about shooting these Rages. They can be shot efficiently but like I said in my previous post one has to know how to use them the right way.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

What did Bob say that would contradict a bunch of BS? Nothing from what I could tell. Bob's been there and done that, that right there speaks volumes and he is the last guy who is going to fill someone full of bull, he's here to help and not argue! As I am as well here to try and help if I can. As for the ego thing, no ego here. If I didn't know Bob I wouldn't of said what I said, read some of his post, he knows his stuff and there isn't even a little ego in that guy. Hopefully what Bob said will help another guy out who's thinking about shooting these Rages. They can be shot efficiently but like I said in my previous post one has to know how to use them the right way.
The highlighted part... I don't even know what that means. However, that is twice in a row now that I have asked an honest question and you respond as if I was attacking someone. I am truly confused where you are getting all this. I am thinking about shooting the Rages and that is why I am asking detailed questions. If I didn't respect Bob's viewpoint or yours, I wouldn't ever ask you anything.

Mez, that is a really good point about the shape of the head/postion of the blades and how that would relate to resistance. I hadn't given that much thought.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never mind then, I give up.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Check out the state regs where you are going some states do not allow mechanicals.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:24 AM

As good as the results were that we had last year with the Rage 2 blade on deer, I am a littleapprehensive of trying them on elk as well. They may work just wonderful; but my instincts are leaning toward the Montec or the Slick Trick for these large animals.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

Trust and beilieve me when I say Please Stick to Fixed Broad Heads. I truely have learned by my mistakes, the more you take away from potential opps the better your odds forget the fancy crap and just hunt, so No Loops No mechanicals, ect they are all just one more thing to screw you up and miss your shot. KEEP IT SIMPLE !!!!! nad you'll shoot far more Deer trust me
Old 03-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CTJohnB

Trust and beilieve me when I say Please Stick to Fixed Broad Heads. I truely have learned by my mistakes, the more you take away from potential opps the better your odds forget the fancy crap and just hunt, so No Loops No mechanicals, ect they are all just one more thing to screw you up and miss your shot. KEEP IT SIMPLE !!!!! nad you'll shoot far more Deer trust me
I agree!!! There have been several people who have had failures from rage, and I wouldn't want to take that risk. Fixed heads are super reliable and do plenty of damage to get the job done. I will not knock anyone who uses rage, but I just don't want to take the chance.

Quick Reply: rage broadheads

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.