Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rage broadheads

Old 03-25-2008, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: rage broadheads

ORIGINAL: davidmil

It's deadly I tell ya.

I know, been known tocrack the skull of more then one grizzly. But there are better designed ones for thowing then the one in your picture.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:21 AM
Dominant Buck

But I'm a BoyScout of course and will use the original. LOL
Old 03-25-2008, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

But I'm a BoyScout of course and will use the original. LOL
If it's not leaving your hand, yours would work better, I'd admit. As far as being original, that would depend on your interpretation of the word "original".
Old 03-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Dominant Buck

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2347892&mpage=1

Take a look at why I use this head.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65
I have only seen them used on one occassion and it was not a good outcome. Perfect shot placement for a double lung taken at 40 yards (the person was ground hunting) on a large whitetail only got one lung, not enough penetration. The deer was not found. Theperson was using a brand new Bowtech and carbon arrows (not sure which one's). Sad part was that he had fixed blades in his quiver also. I asked him why he didn't use the fixed blade for such a long shot and his reply was that he thought he had enough KE to get the job done, and everyone told him so.
Something doesn't sound right there. I don't care what kind of bow he was shooting or what kind of arrows (I would be more interested in fps and weight), but not getting enough penetration on a whitetail at 40 yards????? You don't need much push to punch through a whitetail. Seriously, he virtually had to hit the scapula. It can often look perfect and still catch the scapula depending on how the leg is positioned etc. If the deer wasn't found how do you know it caught one lung and didn't just stick in the shoulder? The shoulder can bleed a lot for a couple hundred yards and then it dries up. Did that happen? I just can't get my head around this one.

BTW, I am not defending the broadhead and I appreciate your POV and story. It just sounds like a "my buddy says he hit him perfect and he never found him story".
Old 03-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I KNOW I have the most trauma inflicting BH on the tip of my arrow that is made......bar none.

I shoot the Rage.

Good luck.
Does this mean you have tried every broadhead that has been made?

jk GMMAT, I know why you use them, the pics are worth 1000 words.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

It just sounds like a "my buddy says he hit him perfect and he never found him story".
Sorry, but you are makingassumptions.

I don't really care who uses what, I really don't. That question on topic dealt with "Your thoughts?". I gave my experience. I was there, I saw the actual deer cross a field in front of me. It's entrance wound was blatant, and the deer did bleed very well for the most part.I never saw or met the kid that shot the deer until he was looking for it. I am not here to lie or make things up. I also helped him track it for about mile mostly uphill. I mentioned the equipment he used because I thought it was relevant.

I know people kill animals with the head, I won't argue that.But with such a large mechanical blade, IMO, I would be mindful when shooting long distances with lightweight arrows.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

It just sounds like a "my buddy says he hit him perfect and he never found him story".

I don't really care who uses what, I really don't. That question on topic dealt with "Your thoughts?". I gave my experience. I was there, I saw the actual deer cross a field in front of me. It's entrance wound was blatant, and the deer did bleed very well for the most part.I never saw or met the kid that shot the deer until he was looking for it. I am not here to lie or make things up. I also helped him track it for about mile mostly uphill. I mentioned the equipment he used because I thought it was relevant.

I know people kill animals with the head, I won't argue that.But with such a large mechanical blade, IMO, I would be mindful when shooting long distances with lightweight arrows.
Bob what you say makes allot of sense but you can't tell that to half the people on here without getting jumped on. I could care less what people use either but one has to have some common sense in how to use there equipment. So many don't!
Old 03-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

My intention was certainly not to call you a liar. I was simply saying it doesn't make sense to me, not that it wasn't at all possible, and I just tried to voice a couple other feaseable possibilities. Like I said, I appreciated you commenting on it. I am also one of those currently thinking of switching to the head and I want to hear all POV concerning it.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Dominant Buck

I could care less what people use either but one has to have some common sense in how to use there equipment. So many don't!
I agree with this statement. There are people shooting mechanical heads out of bows that have NO BUSINESS doing so. They're (the ones I speak of) either:

1. Tryingto mask a tuning deficiency

or

2. Their equipment isn't providing sufficient KE to shoot them.

Either way.....I think it's unethical. I also would assume (given the experiences I've had with a tuned bow, a sharp Rage headand plenty of KE)..that one of the aforementionedtworeasons was likely the case in Bob's scenario.

Quick Reply: rage broadheads

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.