Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I??? (Turkey Hunting)

Old 03-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Should I??? (Turkey Hunting)

Should I take the bow or shotgun? For my first year out. I have been told I can do either. We are gonna be hunting the Black Hills unit in South Dakota. I am thinkin maybe bow....that would be awesome, yet one tough challenge from what I have read.

If bow, what kind of arrow set up should I have? Will the list below work? I know you don't exactly want a pass through on a Turkey.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Should I??? (Turkey Hunting)

if its your first year turkey hunting, id take out the shotgun, but if you get your first with a bow its a huge feat in my book
Old 03-24-2008, 05:51 PM

Go big or go home. Bow all the way. If you can get 'em close enough to kill w/ a shottie, you can kill 'em w/ a bow. If you have a good ground blind and a decoy or two, hell.....it's not even a question in my mind. Bow.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with the bow, if your a good shot.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on a lot of things. Are you calling or someone else? Blind or no? How bad to you really want to get one? Hardest part for most is just getting them into range. But if an experienced caller is there for you and you have a blind, take the bow. If you have no blind and/or are calling for yourself, and being new, take the shotgun. Just my thoughts
Old 03-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

After I killed my first with a shot gun I took my bow. Had 4 Toms with in range in one day. (2 were together the other 2 were seperate)All 4 busted my arss trying to draw.The only way I take my bow is if I had a good ground blind. Them buggers can see!!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Buck_Slayer

Should I take the bow or shotgun? For my first year out. I have been told I can do either.

You've been "told" by who? Who cares what people around here think....of course most are going to say bow, a lot of guys around here only hunt with a bow.

Don't think that taking a shotgun is an automatic, especially if its your first time.

Ask yourself..."what do I want to hunt with?" That's your answer.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: Buck_Slayer

Should I take the bow or shotgun? For my first year out. I have been told I can do either.

You've been "told" by who? Who cares what people around here think....of course most are going to say bow, a lot of guys around here only hunt with a bow.

Don't think that taking a shotgun is an automatic, especially if its your first time.

Ask yourself..."what do I want to hunt with?" That's your answer.
I was told, that it is legal for either. same tag.

I am just debating on the bow because I figured, if I can get em with a shotgun, I could more than likely get them with the bow as well. I know it isn't going to be an easy task. I am just wondering, I figured the replies would be a little bias in this forum.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am taking both thisyear, im using bow for the first 2 hunts, and then shotgun for the last 2... i already have my first turkey in the book so now it realyl doesnt matter much. So what im saying, if i were you i'd take both, maybe use bow half the time and then use gun the rest... good luck
Old 03-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude take a gun....my opinion...get a turkey...and have fun...you can do it with bow....I don't know...I'm a crazy bowhunter but I will wait until next year for bow...I got my first 11 incher last year with gun and will take a gun this year....and a video cam

Quick Reply: Should I??? (Turkey Hunting)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.