Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many of us actually do???

Old 03-24-2008, 05:46 PM

Default How many of us actually do???

A post in the technical forum prompted this question.

How many of us actually inspect our carbon arrows before we shoot them?

I'll be the first to raise my hand and say " NOT ME!" In fact, I got rather lucky here a couple months ago, before I changed back to aluminum. I had a flyer, high/right, everytime, and couldn't figure out why. So, thinking it may be a clearance issue, I rotated the nock, just slightly. Impact point moved, but still a flyer. Interesting, I thought. So I turned the nock some more. Impact point moved again, but still a flyer.

Ok, something's going on here. Upon white glove inspection, I found a 1/2" crack in the arrow. I had shot that arrow at least 12 times, cracked the entire time. Got my attention, but even though I inspected the rest of them right then and there.....I didn't again.

So let's here it, how many of you, honestly, inspect your carbon each time you shoot it?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many of us actually do???

same here i dont check them at all and i have actually had a carbon arrow like explode on me when i shot it
Old 03-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

Guilty..I don't check them every shot. Just a couple times each time out I guess. My friends brother had one explode as he shot it....scary stuff.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont check them that often, just a couple times a year
Old 03-24-2008, 05:51 PM

I check them almost after every shot when I am shooting 3d or with other people, because Mo Bowhnter had one blow up on him after having a crack near the fletching and shooting it. He didnt know it was there because it was hidden. So now I check pretty regularly.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Only if I hit something that could potentially damage it. If its just into foam, I don't check.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

You mean they are making arrows out of carbon now...Who would have ever thought that....
Old 03-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh man Don that could have been bad []good thing you caught it. Im guilty as charged for not checking them, but i shoot at individual spots most of the time instead of groups, where shaft damage is higher %%. As of right now, i have one i know is damaged, its the one Bols tried to blow up last june [:@][8D]I dont shoot it any more.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I am just shooting into a target I usually don't shoot the same spot so they don't get damaged by my other arrows soI don't check after every shot. If I am shooting with other people I do try to remember to check them each time.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea ... I allwaysinspect my arrows before I shoot them and every time I hit something real hard ( like a rock ) but I don't check them every time I shoot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.