Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many of us actually do???

Old 03-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How many of us actually do???

Inspect em? for what? a new arrow? manufacturing error I'm checking for?

or are you suggesting if you miss the target and hit wood or some other tough wall etc...?

If I ever missed the target I'd inspect my arrow, I think maybe twice I missed and my arrow once went through the fence....the other time 2 sheets of 3/8 ply, after those incidents sure i inspected them.

but are you suggesting just after shooting into your target after awhile?

I rub my arrows, usually to get foam/target debri off of them, if I were to feel something id take a further /closer look, and I mean i glance at my arrows all the time when shooting/removing from the target, I notice details though so if something were wrong I think I'd notice it, but cmon dont miss the target guys, \

I laughed when my bowshop guy said you need a dozen arrows, and I said why? whats wrong with half dozen? he's like ever lose an arrow? I replied, NO.

I guess most guys lose lots of arrows?

After I shoot a few deer, I'll get another 6.....then I'll have like 10, I dunno.

If I can't hit the block im shooting at, I'm not going to be shooting further and miss it.

If you can't hit the block at 30 or 40yds dont move it back to 60 and fling one out there.

This fall I was at the range, and guys, with quality hunting arrows/bows were shooting arrows that hit the ground etc......and the targets are 4feet wide!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Bartender

Ever since that post went out a last year and I switched to Carbon I check them.
One exploded and went into someone's hand.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I DO! Maybe not after everyshot, but before and after each shooting session I do. Also I check them when I zing one of a rock, tree,or dirt patch. Better safe than sorry IMO. Have one blow up on you and that may be the last shot you ever take with a bow and arrow. Just food for thought.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Site Bouncer

Every time for me! After I pull them from the target, I check each one on my walk back to my bow. It only takes a second to flex them and inspect closely. I also take the time to check to make sure my field tip/broad head is on tight too.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:01 PM

I used to not check them very often (and even shot one that had minor scrapes on them when I was new to bow shooting) but last year my brother in law picked one of my arrows up out of my case and had it blow up on him. Bent the hell out of his cams on his Allegiance and scared the crap out of both of us. (btw this was one that I didn't know had a crack in it). I don't check after every shot now, but I definitely check more often.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Typical Buck

I usually test them as I pull them out of the target.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:29 AM
Typical Buck

I'm guilty too....I buy 6-12 new arrows before every season.I usually don't start shooting until July. Six get added to my practice arrows and I save6 for the season.I have plenty of arrows to practice with throughout the year. I guess I better check them to make sure they are safe. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I actually check mine, though not a thorough "Twist, flex, feel," I do check mine with each shot. I generally gently wipe of any excess foam, and as I nock the arrow, I always tap the arrow on the riser, checking to make sure I don't have an odd vibration. I've caught 2 bad arrows this way over the years. Pretty simple to just tap the arrow on the riser, if it sounds like the tip is loose but it ain't, you've got a problem!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 04:54 AM

I check before each session with the tap method
Old 03-25-2008, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Only if I hit something that could potentially damage it. If its just into foam, I don't check.
x2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.