Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How important is it???

Old 03-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How important is it???

I like the whiteoaks, and my experience last year was with a nice 8 pointer that jumped my string on the opening night.
His belly hit the ground and then he jumped about two feet off the ground.
When his hooves hit the ground he didn't even twitch and just continued to walk slowly away.
However quick enough so I couldn't knock another arrow.
They do like to stretch their legs during the day and when your under the right white oak with sweet smelling acorns you know it!
Old 03-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok Duke I follow you now. so even when there are ag crops, often they become secondary food sources in comparison to oaks/?
Va.. if by they you mean AG crops then yes. The acorns from Oaks are preferred during many periods of late summer and autumn and often times mistiaken for a staging area.. when in fact its just a food source.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well.....for ME.....Oaks are my ONLY food source I get to hunt them over. I have access to zero ag crops.
Now.. Jeff.. You do know that whitetails have many different preferred food sources other than AG or Oaks.

Just because you hunt without AG crops doesn't make Oaks your only option.

Honeysuckle.. Fruit bearing trees.. Winterberrys.. Honey Locust.. are just a few of the other (but less known by hunters) food sources whitetail eat.. especially when they are in season.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm aware, Duke.....but I can also tell you (And Rob can confirm this) that the browse line whereI hunt becomes non-existent at an early date from 6' down.

Where would you hunt?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not Duke....but I believe this to be true.
I don't know.. seems like that is exactly what I said.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Duke I agreed with you that ag crops were secondary food sources when acorns were available.

My contention is that acorns are the NO. 1 food source of whitetails in my area. Bar none.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know.. never seen your lands before Jeff.

But I hunt an area that is equally as disturbing in browse by whitetail. I will hunt the Oaks when they are plentiful.. then back off once snow succombs to the ground and hunt the Buchtorne and plentiful Hawthorne trees.

And I can promise you equal to better action around these small berried trees once snow covers the earth..

This is just an example.. since I know snow is "rare" or "scarce" in NC.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

My contention is that acorns are the NO. 1 food source of whitetails in my area. Bar none.
Aaahhh.. I got you now. I just misunderstood what you were trying to say. My bad.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Snow????

What's that???

I've not had the opportunity to hunt them with snow on the gorund. Can't comment.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to say that acrorns, when avaliable and plentiful, are the deer's most preferred food source in any area, just what I have found out through my readings. Deer are of course going tofeed on other natural browse, but you will see the highest concentration of deer in your acron lots.

Quick Reply: How important is it???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.