Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How important is it???

Old 03-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How important is it???

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I apologize for my ignorance, but what does 'staging' mean?
It's refering to a whitetail "hanging back" so to speak.. browsing.. rubbing.. making scrapes.. all before entering more open terrain.. (i.e. an agricultural field.)
Ahhh, I see. I've actually never heard that term before. I have to agree with you though Duke (now that I understand the term) that maturedeer would not stage in acorn lot. Our property is littered with White Oak flats and while they often serve as bedding and rearing areas for does, they are only frequented by bucks when they are feeding.
Me neither! I learned something today or I should say tonight!
Old 03-25-2008, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Va.. ya I believe they stage or wait until dark.. absolutely.

But where I have always seen "staging areas" is not how its written in the books or mags.

Most staging areas I've seen are either within just a few yards of a bucks bedroom or 100 yards or more from any kind of destination food source. The key is always been close proximity to heavy cover.. which most acorn flats are not near.

Now.. I'm not sayin' bucks don't come out to eat acorns just before dark.. But I just believe its more of a destination food source and not a staging area.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:23 AM
Dominant Buck

I actually don't believe its that important to have Oaks on a property. It's always good.. but I don't consider it important. Their are many food sources that "come into season" that whitetail browse heavily on.

And staging bucks..?? That's a touchy subject. But they'll stage wherever they feel safe.. Oaks or not.
Well.....for ME.....Oaks are my ONLY food source I get to hunt them over. I have access to zero ag crops.

I think alot of hunters misunderstand the subtle differences between a staging area of a buck and a destination food source.
Interesting......but I see bucks and does "staging" in a little oak flat (Rob hunted it with me) all the time. It's my most productive buck spot.....and the place I've taken my best two. i see does and bucks come out of their bedding area into this spot and go back in......and vice versa for morning hunts. It could be argued that this IS a destination food source.....but they come back here in the mornings......go into their bedding areas.....and return all the time.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:29 AM
Dominant Buck

If they're there, they're a bonus. OR, you can come North to the Adirondacks where there are no oaks at all.Go to NY'sSouthern Tier and they have oaks. Deer find something to eat. Note the big hole in the whiteoak home range sitting right on top of the Adirondacks. Weird huh

Old 03-25-2008, 05:33 AM

Ok Duke I follow you now. so even when there are ag crops, often they become secondary food sources in comparison to oaks/? This is what I conclude from from experience alone.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:36 AM
Dominant Buck

so even when there are ag crops, often they become secondary food sources in comparison to oaks/?
Not Duke....but I believe this to be true. We hear all the time here in NC.....of deer walking by corn piles to eat acorns. I think the acorn in NC is THE number one food source, if available.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:41 AM

Gmatt, I think you right, when I go to the mts of Va which is really not far from you, those deer will walk through the alfalfa field and corn field to eat the oaks on the ridge that I hunt, in the summer and in sept, they are all over those fields, but as soon as the acorns fall they seem to abandon the field. It really is obvious how much they love acorns.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Acorns are crucial, especially in our area. Does and bucks that are very hesitant to enter open agriculture and food plots(after season has started) can still be found rummaging acorns and not just and dawn or dusk, anytime. We have a nice oak bottom on our farm and one of my favorite scouting tricks is to walk through early with binocs and see which trees are starting to hold a lot and I mark them on themap andcheck them often after that. That part is easy just walk instop and listen(and of course look on the ground). When they are falling heavy I won't be anywhere near a field I will be right in the heart of that oak flat and on the opposite side of their bedding. I wouldn't really call them staging areas because if the acorns are on the ground that is their destination feeding source, I usually don't see them holding up there and then entering a field, I see them feeding through the flat from thick cover to thick cover and sometimes to water.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Gmatt, I think you right, when I go to the mts of Va which is really not far from you, those deer will walk through the alfalfa field and corn field to eat the oaks on the ridge that I hunt, in the summer and in sept, they are all over those fields, but as soon as the acorns fall they seem to abandon the field. It really is obvious how much they love acorns.
I hunt the mountains of Virginia as well, and as I said in an earlier post, the deer will abandon their previous food source. Our property has four food plots and the as soon as the acorn start falling its a rarity to see deer in those plots during the day.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

On my hunting land it is about 80% hardwoods, and agricultural fields within a mile. The last two guts that I have opened up were acornsand persimmon seeds. I totally agree that acorns are more of a desireable food source than corn or soybeans, but between the squirrels and the deer they dont last long once on the ground.

It is not uncommon to see late in December the leaves turned upside down from deer digging to find the acorns, as a matter of fact that is how I killed my last buck. As far as a "staging" area, there are definately more scrapes and rubs within the hardwood than there are elsewhere on my property.

Maybe this could bebecause of this particular deer habitat, as I have hunted cutovers of pine that showed very different deer sign that Im used to.

To answer your question I believe that it is very environment specific. If acorns arent abundant in their immediate territory, they will travel to the ag fields to feed. If they have an abundance of oaks it will definately keep them around. My food plots are purposely right beside the treeline of oaks, so that the deer will have a smorgasborg of food at feeding time, and hopefully not devour the clover, chicory, alfalfa, and rape until the acorns are all gone!!!

VABowman...Get your boots on and get up here and see for yourself! I tried to PM you but your box is full!

Quick Reply: How important is it???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.