Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Diluting Accomplishments: Baiting

Old 03-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Diluting Accomplishments: Baiting

Another thing to remember when baiting, bears are carnivorous.

So as for bait ,you will do nicely.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

No opinions, huh?

I think bear and deer hunting are two totally different games. From what I understand bears aren't really patternable like deer. They roam the area freely and are likely to be anywhere in that huge expanse of woods (hundreds of sq. miles). Deer, as we all know, follow a pretty regular pattern. Length of season probably comes into play as well. As I understand, bear seasons are much shorter than deer. Of course that is all hear say because I have never been bear hunting, only read about it alot. Someone feel free to correct me if im wrong in my thinking.

Where are Schultzy, Dan, Kyle, and others when you need them.
Funny Trevor, Iwas waiting on Schultzy too. But you are completely correct. It is amazing how fara big boar will roam. They don't really have a core area, persay. I hunt a swamp edge, I don't think a bear would come out for anything during the day if it wasn't for a bait, and I'm pretty sure if he did, I would be in the wrong spot. If it wasn't for a bait, I think killing a bear in my woods would be next to impossible.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

Jim~
So you are doing the equivalent of strategically placing feeders every 40 yardsfor 760 yards. How hard would it be to find the dominate trail leading into your "food plot" and hunt the closest stand? I personally hunt feeders and shockingly every deer I killed this year (6) never came close to the corn. But I prefer an oak patch any day to a feeder chock full of corn.
Disclaimer:::
The boards have been a little tense here lately so I'm def. not attacking Jim or anyone else that prefers food plots to baiting, simply discussing.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

its not different in my eyes,
i dont agree with baiting at all, but im gonna be happy for you if you kill one over bait
Old 03-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those who live in the south see nothing wrong with baiting while my woods still have plenty of snow cover, corn dumped today would be gone tomorrow,How ever my six acre food plot has been feeding them all winter. with stands place at 40 yard intervals it would take 19 hunters to cover my "food plot" ,how many hunters does it take to cover your feeder that is set to gooff twice a day?
Ok, so if I have the only 3 White Oak acorn trees in 100 acre area, my stand is set 20 yds from these trees, or a trail leading to them... Is this condsidered baiting as well? I say, if you are planting or placing food in an area that would otherwise have a lack thereof, you ARE baiting.

LT
Old 03-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Needn't even be a discussion over whether it's ethical or not. Just wondering why the seemed double-standard???

Baiting turkeys is also legal in some states.....

Is there a double-standard there?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: xXxrory7xXx

its not different in my eyes,
i dont agree with baiting at all, but im gonna be happy for you if you kill one over bait
Have you hunted bear without baiting?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:53 PM

One of the big advantages of using bait while bear hunting is that it lets us be much more selective on what we shoot. I would hate to shoot a sow with cubs or a small boar.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NChunterman

Jim~
So you are doing the equivalent of strategically placing feeders every 40 yardsfor 760 yards. How hard would it be to find the dominate trail leading into your "food plot" and hunt the closest stand? I personally hunt feeders and shockingly every deer I killed this year (6) never came close to the corn. But I prefer an oak patch any day to a feeder chock full of corn.
Disclaimer:::
The boards have been a little tense here lately so I'm def. not attacking Jim or anyone else that prefers food plots to baiting, simply discussing.
My plot is rectangular the deer can and do come from all sides itencompasses 264600 square feet. just a tad more than me and the Hoyt can effectively cover from one stand.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why is it "different" in many peoples eyes?
Sorry Jeff, but I think it has something to do with people's ideas of getting what they are after. I believe, if it is legal, "Some" will do whatever it takes to take said animal. Whether it be deer, bears, turkeys, ect. I also believe there are some die-hard hunters left in this world who will never hunt over "bait", because it gives them the feeling of diluting their hunt. jmho As far as bear hunting goes, I believe if you are baiting them, it is not fair chase.

LT

Quick Reply: Diluting Accomplishments: Baiting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.