Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

which mechanicals?

Old 02-20-2003, 05:07 PM

Default RE: which mechanicals?

I like the two blade spit fire' s. Too bad they are not made anymore. I guess i' ll have to try the three blade.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with both the Steelhead and Snyper recommendations. Even if your bow is tuned perfectly I would still recommend both heads as they provide much less of a chance of wind planing....both in terms of actual bow speed and because of actual wind conditions.

If both of these heads work well for you then maybe you might want to try something with a little larger cutting diameter. Then you can really take advantage of some of the expandables out there.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only one I have ever used was spitfire 100 grains, flew just like my field points, big hole in and shattered one of the vertabrae, all the blades remained intact and the deer bled like a stuck pig.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve used Punchcutters, Rocket Steelheads, Rocky Mt. Revolutions, Warheads, and Snypers and they all kill deer dead. I' m thinking about trying Spitfires this year just because I like to try different things.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

I like to try diferent mechanicals from year to year. Currently, I am on the Vortex bandwagon. Two blade version. What I like about these heads is they make a good entrance hole unlike most mechanicals. With the blades closed they still expose 1" of cutting surface. Entrance is close to the same size as the exit, a full 2" . In my opinion, a mechanical with a large cutting diameter is the perfect deal for thin skinned game like a deer.