Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is really the trophy?

Old 03-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What is really the trophy?

The majority of people show off the antlers when they get a nice buck. The antlers are nice but seems to me like the real prize should be the fact that you outwitted or patterened a mature deer. An animal thattheir main job isto avoid danger. The accomplishment oftaking a deer that is 4.5 an up should be more gratifing than whether the deer has a PY or a BC rack.

Why do you think this is the case.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is really the trophy?

Iam one of the few who beleaves anydeer taken with a bow is a trophy....except ones with spots then thats just plain wrong.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you 100%, when I first started bowhunting I considered everything I harvested to be a trophy. I still feel that way, but for some reson that massive rack of ANTLERS sure is a plus. On the ranch we hunt, we are under a pretty srtict management program that we dont shoot bucks that are not mature unless they are really under par (management deer) and we harvest a lot of does under this managementprogram and I consider all of them to be a trophy with my bow. I know a lot of people that won't even take a deer unless it scores x amount, I don't agree with that tactic as a whole, to manage your deer herd properly I feel you have to take several deer that won't make P&Y or B&C to get the full potential of your deer herd. Just my thoughts......
Old 03-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Dominant Buck

A 4.5 yr old deer is 4.5 whether he resided in MO or FL....and irregardless of whether he sported 150" or 100" of antler.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

Iam one of the few who beleaves anydeer taken with a bow is a trophy....except ones with spots then thats just plain wrong.
X2... Right on Ranger, I'm the same way. To take it to the next step, I consider it a "win" when I get deer into bow range even if I don't Pull Back.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

My trophy is in a frying pan with butter, onions and garlic!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Trophy= memories.

A 4.5 yr old deer is 4.5 whether he resided in MO or FL....and irregardless of whether he sported 150" or 100" of antler.

Unless one is heavily hunted and one isn't.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

until the deer get birth certificates,they will be judged by their horns.Simply because five years down the line thats whats still hanging on the wall.[:-]
Old 03-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

This photo below represents a real trophy to me. It was the specific doe that Matt (Rick James) wanted me to tag. She was a smart dominant doe and when Matt saw her, in an excited voice he said, that's her.....it was a great hunt.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every deer that I take with my bow is a trophy, but thereismore of a label so to speak on a 160"5.5 year than a 115 class 5.5 year old. The antlers seem to be the prize instead of that fact that you have outwitted orhave been able to take a deer that is rarely seen in the woods regardless of the size of the antlers.

Quick Reply: What is really the trophy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.