Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is really the trophy?

Old 03-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is really the trophy?

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

This photo below represents a real trophy to me. It was the specific doe that Matt (Rick James) wanted me to tag. She was a smart dominant doe and when Matt saw her, in an excited voice he said, that's her.....it was a great hunt.

Thats what I am talking about an in my opinion the does are more of a challenge than the bucks. They seem to notice more stuff that is not right when they get a few years on them.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah bud, she busted RJ twice, and he shot his blind once and man did she pay attention to that blind that has sat there for quite some time. RJ said that when he wasn't in it and was a camp and she'd come out (the blind empty) she'd pay attention, she usually came in down wind of the blind and nailed ya.

She followed her fawns in and busted us too but it was too late for her.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

Iam one of the few who beleaves anydeer taken with a bow is a trophy....except ones with spots then thats just plain wrong.
There a trophy in my book! Are you going to tell some 12 year old kid this same thing when he arrows one of these as his 1st ever deer?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Four and a half year old jerky.

Which reminds me, I shot 3 deer this year and I'm just about out already. Jeff, make me some room on your ranch in September k bud?
Old 03-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

Iam one of the few who beleaves anydeer taken with a bow is a trophy....except ones with spots then thats just plain wrong.
There a trophy in my book! Are you going to tell some 12 year old kid this same thing when he arrows one of these as his 1st ever deer?
Absolutly not, that is his/her trophy....I will hi five them just as I would the guy who shot a 3yr old doe or a 5yr old buck with a 160 rack..
They too will learn as they get older to let thos yearlings go.
That last coment was my own opinion,Ive been deer hunting for 34 yrs and will not,I repeat Not shoot a spotted deer to fill MY tag.....Never have never will unless its injured and that hasnt happend yet...
Old 03-23-2008, 11:05 AM

"TRUE" sportsman will always feel that ANY animal is a trophy when taken honestly, and by the rules of "Fair Chase". I believe as hunters we all go through "phases" in our pursuit of the game we seek. The first phase is as beginners when all we can think of is getting our first deer or whatever, then phase two kicks in and we seek out the mature animals with antlers or beautiful plumage, and lastly phasethree takes over when all we really desire ismore time spent outdoors, seeing game, &possibly take an animal to put meat in the freezer. I can't speak for anyone else, but I just cherish the time I spend in our great outdoors, and if I'm lucky enough to see the sights, and hear the sounds of "being out there" its fine by me to go home empty handed. You see, I don't HAVE TO harvest an animal to have had a successfull hunt, but if I do, and its a smaller doe, she is my Trophy, and I appreciate what she gave to and for me. Good Hunting ........ SHOTARYE
Old 03-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Site Buck Guru

The trophy is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: SHOTARYE

"TRUE" sportsman will always feel that ANY animal is a trophy when taken honestly, and by the rules of "Fair Chase". I believe as hunters we all go through "phases" in our pursuit of the game we seek. The first phase is as beginners when all we can think of is getting our first deer or whatever, then phase two kicks in and we seek out the mature animals with antlers or beautiful plumage, and lastly phasethree takes over when all we really desire ismore time spent outdoors, seeing game, &possibly take an animal to put meat in the freezer. I can't speak for anyone else, but I just cherish the time I spend in our great outdoors, and if I'm lucky enough to see the sights, and hear the sounds of "being out there" its fine by me to go home empty handed. You see, I don't HAVE TO harvest an animal to have had a successfull hunt, but if I do, and its a smaller doe, she is my Trophy, and I appreciate what she gave to and for me. Good Hunting ........ SHOTARYE
for me being a novice hunter, I still need to down my first deer, this says it all.......

Frank
Old 03-23-2008, 01:25 PM
N2D

[quote]ORIGINAL: GregH

The trophy is in the eye of the beholder.
[/quote

X2
Old 03-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Bartender

I couldn't agree more, I use to have sig that stated the difference between amature doe and a mature buck is that their are more doe's. *I think I got that right, brain fart time*
ORIGINAL: bow huntert

The majority of people show off the antlers when they get a nice buck. The antlers are nice but seems to me like the real prize should be the fact that you outwitted or patterened a mature deer. An animal thattheir main job isto avoid danger. The accomplishment oftaking a deer that is 4.5 an up should be more gratifing than whether the deer has a PY or a BC rack.

Why do you think this is the case.

Quick Reply: What is really the trophy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.