Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wolfskin material?

Old 03-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Wolfskin material?

Looking into a new mid to late season outer wear for this coming season....

If you could tell me your first hand experiences and overall opinions ofthe Wolfskin fabric.... Not interested in what camo pattern it is in, just your over all experiences with it throughout your season.

I have never touched or even saw this fabric in person, so any thoughts and experiences you share would be great.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:25 PM

Default RE: Wolfskin material?

I've worn wolfskin for 2 years. Doesn't weigh much, VERY comfortable, DEAD quiet, even when it's cold out. I brush against my tree quite a bit in stand, and it makes very little noise. It's durable. It will shed a light mist or snow easily, but not rain. You'll get wet eventually. It's got a very low nap and burs just don't stick to it, and what stubborn few do, brush right off with ease.

I wouldn't wear it when it's warm...say.....75* or more. It's got some insulating properties and it'll get hot in that climate. I layer under it and stay pretty comfortable.

I think it's main positives are comfort, soft and silent, and no burrs. The only real negative I can think of is wearing it early season. It's just too warm.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have two wolfskin suits.

Quiet
If it's Treated with DWR it pretty much water proof for hunting.

I will say it's not as tough as I heard. It did rip when in coat and pants this year.

All in all it's a good material IMO

I think it's main positives are comfort, soft and silent, and no burrs. The only real negative I can think of is wearing it early season. It's just too warm.
I would pretty much agree with mobo, only mine did tear.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:32 PM

I've only got a shirt and to me its very similar to some light fleece suits thatI have.... It's a nice fabric, nothing earth shattering, but nice none the less.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

For an outer layer I think it beats fleece by a mile simply because it doesn't pick up burrs. I have one spot I walk through that is litterally nothing but burrs, and when I come out everything on me that is not wolfskin is simply covered. That sucks, and makes me appreciate the burr-resistancy that much more. It's not nearly as warm as fleece, but what's what layering is for.

I'll pretty much echo what these other guys said. It's extremely quiet, soft to the touch, stays pliable in cold weather, and compared to other outer garments I've hunted in I believe it is the best.I did rip mine as well,however it was going over a barbed wire fence and was my own fault. Although it certainly is not the most rugged material in the world. I have a set of Scent-Lok lined pants and a pullover for early/mid season and a set of Comfortmax lined bibs and another pullover for late season. I really like both of them and at this time intend on hunting in them this fall as well. Although I do want to try out some Sitka gear, as I really like the looks/feel of that as well.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Justin

For an outer layer I think it beats fleece by a mile simply because it doesn't pick up burrs. I have one spot I walk through that is litterally nothing but burrs, and when I come out everything on me that is not wolfskin is simply covered. That sucks, and makes me appreciate the burr-resistancy that much more. It's not nearly as warm as fleece, but what's what layering is for.

I'll pretty much echo what these other guys said. It's extremely quiet, soft to the touch, stays pliable in cold weather, and compared to other outer garments I've hunted in I believe it is the best.I did rip mine as well,however it was going over a barbed wire fence and was my own fault. Although it certainly is not the most rugged material in the world. I have a set of Scent-Lok lined pants and a pullover for early/mid season and a set of Comfortmax lined bibs and another pullover for late season. I really like both of them and at this time intend on hunting in them this fall as well. Although I do want to try out some Sitka gear, as I really like the looks/feel of that as well.
I have Sitka as well
Old 03-22-2008, 08:50 PM

Well, I'll admit that I did rip mine as well...but hey......How many pants do you know that could stand up to a tire iron?? Don't freakin ask.....

Old 03-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

So basically everyone thus far has ripped their wolfskin pants?
Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I ripped mine but in all fairness I got them caught in a barbed wire fence with 200 lbs of downforce pulling on them. I would expect just about any material to rip. With that one small exception the material held up very well throughout the rest of my season, including a few trips into some nasty briar patches.

Germ - what do you think of the Sitka stuff?
Old 03-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have two sets and I havn't ripped mine.Must be a little lighter on my feet than Gary and Justin.It's an excellent material.I have plenty of fleece outer wear garments that don't see the light of day any more.Soft,quiet,very wind resistant,sheds light rain,burrs don't stick to it.It's great stuff!

Quick Reply: Wolfskin material?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.