Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Yardage

Old 03-21-2008, 03:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Yardage

Best advice I could give you is........

About a month before your season begins......switch to shooting nothing but broadheads (When I had a dual purpose bow.....Aug. 1 was my date to switch to BH's).....and........get up in a treestand or on an elevated platform and simply sight your bow in from there.

These guys are right about horizontal distance......but there's nothing like sighting your bow in for actual conditions.

Good advice, above.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Use your 30 yard pin, bend at the waist.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:44 AM
Dominant Buck

If you have to ask this question, it doesn't matter which pin you use because I figure you'll miss anyway.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

Here is the advertisement for Bushnell's ARC technology. It says the deer is 28 yds from tree but 32 yds with the angle range compensation. Just curious. I shoot from my stand and only see a slight difference from standing on ground.

It is obvious that gravity would play less by shooting at a downward angle, but I have seen this ad, as well as my favorite TV hunter, Mike Waddell brag about having this calculation for a more accurate shot.

My post was for anyone that may have tried one of these rangefinders in the field, and was there a difference.

they show this add alot and its done to scare you. Using the math provided earlier (where H = height up the tree, which is the one number they don't give you, and yards converted to feet):

H^2 + (84)^2 = (96)^2
H = 46.7 feet up the tree!

The compensating range finders, for typical whitetail distances are a waste. Yes there's a difference but normally
on the range of 1 MAYBE 2 yards if you go real high and take a close shot.

However out west shooting off cliffs is a possibility, MAYBE they are worth it.

For a whitetail out of a tree, draw level, bend at the waist and shoot.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Gravity has its greatest effect on an arrow shot horizontally. shooting up or down you get less arrow drop. look at it this way, how much drop do you get if you shoot straight up or down. none! I would suggest practicing those angled shots to see how your bow hits.
BINGO!!! you will hit slightly highif you aim for 30 ... but that should be fine at that angle .... 30 feet is pretty stinking high!!!

Practice will give you the confidence you need to hit that deer exactly where you want ....
Old 03-21-2008, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

I appreciate the responses. I am setting up one of my stands in my yard this weekend and practice. The reason I ask is this will be my first full season for hunting with bow and my big concern was the angle shot from my stand.

I was searching for new gadgets and saw this ARC technology. Just glad that I asked!

Old 03-21-2008, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Boy, I am glad:

1. I don't have to worry about whole pin situation.
2. I don't hunt up in a tree 30 feet.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

i use a pendulum.....so i just put the pin on the deer and shoot
Old 03-21-2008, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Bob:

I'll be joining you this fall at the lower altitudes. 12' will be my cap......and if I get off my ass and build a good ground blind or two.....maybe there.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Bob:

I'll be joining you this fall at the lower altitudes. 12' will be my cap......and if I get off my ass and build a good ground blind or two.....maybe there.

Is that what your doing if/when I come down in Sept? If so, put me a couple hundred yards away. [8D] I want to be safe and the deer unalert. [8D]

Quick Reply: Yardage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.