Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much scouting do U do?

Old 03-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How much scouting do U do?

Everyones lives are busy in some way...
How much time in a single year (on average) do you get to scout for deer, new spots or shed hunting, etc???

On average I get out between 15-20 hours.
However, I have committed to spending more time this season and already have over 20 hours.
Hopefully I'll get closer too 60-80 hours this season?!
Old 03-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How much scouting do U do?

Truth be told.....on the grounds I have been hunting....I don't need to scout. I know where they'll be when the right time comes.

That's all about to change. I just picked up 2-300 acres that I've never hunted. The initial sign is great......the topo looks great......the rumor is it's great (sightings).

Between game cams and actual scouting....I'll be busy between now and 9/8
Old 03-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not enough!
Old 03-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Site Buck Guru

I couldn't even tell you. I've been out at least once a week since Nov. 30th. I'll probably stop April 15th, hunt turkeys then start up again after the 4th of July.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never added it up, but this year I've been out scouting a new spot twice for about 6 hours so far. My main hunting area I really don't do that much anymore. Been hunting that area for many, many years.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't even tell you. I've been out at least once a week since Nov. 30th. I'll probably stop April 15th, hunt turkeys then start up again after the 4th of July.
Greg, are you constantly looking for "new" stand sights or are you just keeping an inventory of what you already know to ensure you are on top of any changes?

I ask b/c that's a lot of time spent and I wondering what you are looking for outside your cam pics. I have to imagine you know you land inside and out by now.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Year round man. I have a set of binos in the pick up, car, gravel truck, work truck. I am in the woods non stop looking at this or checking that. Turkey/Grouse/Pheasent/Dove hunting takes me out there nosing around. Then ya got the plain old shed hunting. Whick I have 30 hrs in this week. Then the Spoting Scope in the blind come July/August. Then the spot lighting in Early Sep. Other than that not much.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I been out about 5 times since the end of the season. I droped some stands and looked around. Most of the land I hunt I know real well. I'll be up the mountains turkey hunting the BIG WOODS. You can never do enough scouting in Big woods because Patterns change all the time, more so then thesmallwoodlots near home. I scale back til July or August. Lots of fishing to be done

Hatchet Jack
Old 03-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

Greg, are you constantly looking for "new" stand sights or are you just keeping an inventory of what you already know to ensure you are on top of any changes?

I ask b/c that's a lot of time spent and I wondering what you are looking for outside your cam pics. I have to imagine you know you land inside and out by now.
Besides checking cameras, I'm watching trails and tracks. I'm also staying on top of any changes that may lead to new stand sites.

So yes to everything you have said!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

never enough in this country .... a guy cant cover it all

Quick Reply: How much scouting do U do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.