Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much scouting do U do?

Old 03-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How much scouting do U do?

It's really a never ending job! I do most of my scouting as low impact as possible. I love the addition of my Trail Cams and it helps keep me out there. It's always neat, taking a look to see what you got this time. I hunted a couple of stand sites this year I had never used before, but that's normal for me. I rarely hunt the same stand over 2 days in a row.

Dan
Old 03-20-2008, 02:31 PM

Certainly not enough in the off season, I do most of my scouting during the season and usually I scout as I hunt, meaning, I walk until it feels right, gut stuff more or less, of course there is reason, not just throwing up the stand anywhere, but I just kind of go off the hip most days. I just don't have a whole lot of time on my hands at this time. I have a 2.5 yr old and an 8 month old. Very busy!!!! I would like to scout every sunday during the season if I could and of course lunch time on Sat.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I see some of you scout dang near year round. Wouldn't that be a bit much of human presence and odor to an area? I do my shed hunting and also peak in there a little during the winter months to see all of the trail activity but besides that I stay away much as possible until Mid October to start hunting the Pre Rut. I should add that I'll be checking trail cams from about August through out December. Every 2 weeks or so they will get checked.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:46 PM
N2D

I don't really keep track of how much I go but it is a bunch. During the winter I am always looking for interesting areas and things that are diffucult to find when things are all leafed out. In the summer I try to stay out of known hunting sites and concentrate on finding other good areas.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

Been out for around 6-7 hours this year so far...This year has been my busiest so far Can't wait to get out some more now that the snow is melting..found some interesting areas that I didn't know were in the area...snow whelps alot with finding feeding and bedding areas.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man there is "Human" presence every where up here all the time.

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I see some of you scout dang near year round. Wouldn't that be a bit much of human presence and odor to an area? I do my shed hunting and also peak in there a little during the winter months to see all of the trail activity but besides that I stay away much as possible until Mid October to start hunting the Pre Rut. I should add that I'll be checking trail cams from about August through out December. Every 2 weeks or so they will get checked.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

Man there is "Human" presence every where up here all the time.

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I suppose there use to it being these whitetails adapt quite easily.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:55 PM

You guys up there talking about the snow finally melting is killing me man, it has been in the 60's and 70's here and Im going to pull the Triton 20x out this Sat and flip some wood and see if I can snatch a few bass with shoulders!!! For you Yankees that means good bass...J/K don't send me hate mail!!!
Old 03-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do most of my scouting this time of the year an let my cameras do the summer time for the most. I go down to the camp about every 2 weeks an look around for6 to 8hours. I do some more looking in Sept. but not a lot.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

I do a little in the spring shed/mushroom hunting then lay off til late July. I just got permission on a new property that is 250 acres so I'll prob spend at least 20-25 hours scouting that. Nice thing is the new land has a nice trout stream running through it so I can scout inbetween drinkin beer and fishin!

Quick Reply: How much scouting do U do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.