Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Property Question

Old 03-20-2008, 08:11 AM
Spike

Default Property Question

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone here for providing me such a great resource for bowhunting information. I've just gotten into bowhunting about 2 months ago.Getting started is tough I must say from all the proper shooting mechanics to technical bow talkwas overwhelming to say the least! Slowly being able to understand it all.

Anyways back to my question.

I've had my eye on a small tract of land (about 90 acres) in a small town where I am currently doing my student teaching (currently in college). A peice of property like this would be a perfect place for me to try to pattern deer, hunt, and make mistakes and learn from them. So after many face to face meetings and phone calls, I've found out that the peice of land is owned by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.Would this mean it is open to public use? Or is there yet another person I should contact in order to get permission?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
bmb
Old 03-20-2008, 08:13 AM

Default RE: Property Question

From one teacher to another, tell them you are a teacher and believe me it helps.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe it if it owned by the Commonwealth, then it is public ground. However, I do not think that means it is automaticaly huntable. I would purchase a plat book and then check with the court house. I would avoid word of mouth, for two reasons. 1. they may not know what they are talking about and lead you in a wrong direction. 2.You might be onto the trail of some sleeper ground and why would you want to draw attention to it?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

From one teacher to another, tell them you are a teacher and believe me it helps.
We need more teachers that hunt.. My staff was clueless pretty much about it 10 years ago..now they are all pretty cool about it and dont even mind talking hunting with me these days.. Not to mention what you can take into the classroom with you.. good luck with the student teaching and getting on that land..
Old 03-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

The "unofficial" answer is that pretty much if a place isn't posted in PA, its fair game. I don't want to debate the right or wrong of it, I'm just telling you what's typically practiced.

Now the right & safe answer would be to contact the town/township or whatever and ask what the land is designated as. If you already are certain it's state land, its just a matter of seeing if its a park or some other designation that would make it off limits for hunting. But also be prepared that if the local cops or whoever use it as a honey hole, they may toss you even though you are completely legal.

Good luck
Old 03-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Spike

I appreciate the help everybody! Gonna take a drive out there on Saturday and do some walking. I'll fill ya in on howit goes.