Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK, time for input from the CUSTOMERS... what would you love to see at your local shop?

Old 03-21-2008, 07:26 PM

Default RE: OK, time for input from the CUSTOMERS... what would you love to see at your local shop?

No smoking in the shop! If you never want to see me in your shop, then allow smoking.

Make sure the people behind the counter know what they are talking about and can be knowledgable on products that they may not care for personally. Make sure you fletch shafts right...you know, clean and prepare them right so the fletches stay on, and inserts don't pull out the first time in a tough target. Like someone else said, keep stock of the little necessities. Make sure any night I want to come in and shoot you have lanes, rather than a full house for leagues. My schedule is too busy to try and memorize your league schedule so I can pay you to allow me to shoot your targets.

The last time I went in my local shop to pick up some 125 grain field points...they didn't have the points cause "no one shoots 125's anymore", the smoke was unbearable (not to mention the cig hanging out of the guy's mouth behind the counter), and I listened to the other guy behind the counter tell an obvious novice customer that the whisker biscuit rest "really doesn't work". Note, I said the LAST time I went in there.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OK, time for input from the CUSTOMERS... what would you love to see at your local shop?

i just wish that the local bow shops were not full of fully camoed PROFESSIONAL hunters who know everything about hunting but spend more time at the shop than in a tree
Old 03-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

[align=left]1. Show a sincere interest in my needs/wants.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]2. Show me that you love Archery.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]3. Show me that you are willing to help without charging for every dang little thing. (Hospitals do this, not archery shops.)[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]4. Do Not try to sell me something just because you got stuck with it in your inventory. ("Oh, this is just what you need.") Pro shop, Not used car sales.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]5. HONESTY.[/align]
LT, that covers a lot of guys feelings!

Dan
Old 03-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also agree on the trust factor. I also hate when shop guys just start bashing gear they know nothing about or ever used! I will go to a different shop if thats the case and willing to pay more money if people do this. Warranty and customer service is a huge thing for me, I've had a product out of warranty for over a month and it broke, they still held up the warranty even though its was expired, thats top notch in my book, even gave me a few extra parts just in case!
Old 03-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

doah...double post!
Old 03-22-2008, 01:15 PM

Somebody mentioned making arrows correctly, great point. I know that at certain times they can be swamped with arrows waiting to be built, but please do the job right the first time.

Have more 'house' bows to try out. Hard to blow a grand on a bow that you've never been able to expirience IMO. Same with some other gadgets, mechanical releases, for example. I'll be more likely to buy the higher end products once I've had a chance to try them out.

One thing that I do like about a local shop here, they're not scrooges with charging for range time. The video screen has set pricing, sure, but the indoor and outdoor 'regular' ranges are pretty much come and go. Makes it easier to go there and shoot versus shooting in your backyard.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 125py

i just wish that the local bow shops were not full of fully camoed PROFESSIONAL hunters who know everything about hunting but spend more time at the shop than in a tree
Don't you just hate it when you are trying tolearn from your local pro shop guy and some smart a$$ mister know it all pushes his way into the conversation and takes over and spews out all of his infanite knowledge while the pro helplessly stands there hoping the guy will have a stroke or something.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Guy, I must be the luckiest guy on here. I have no complaints about my pro shop. They pretty much cover all you are complaining about. If your in the area check him out The Archery Shop, Pittsfield, Il (aka Pike Co. Il)
Old 03-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Around my house their are only two shops still left open, one of the shops in is a new building with all the high end stuff, and you are treated like a wallet as some of the other guys have mentioned. The other shop (that I happen to go to ) Is in an old building with a dirt parking lot, no fancy sign's or anything like that. Let me tell you, the owner of this shop knows customerservice and he himself is an avid bowhunter therefore has good knowledge of archery (that is a big plus). If I need to go behind the counter and grab an allen wrench or use the bowpress he doesn't have a problem with it (I like that). Heconstantly has different kinds ofindoor shoots going on and is always inviting everyone to come, and this guy has a people person personallity, I have been shooting archery competatively and hunting for 10+ years, I don't want a shop owner or employeepushing something on me that I don't want or need. The only time he will suggest something is if you ask for his opinion, I like that. I have been shooting long enough to know what I like and what works for me. The onlything I would like to see him change would be his hours, he doesn't open till later in the day during the week.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:07 PM

Like I said in the other forum, it's great customer service. The shop I go to doesn't have an indoor range but he is working on it. He does have an outdoor range that for 20 dollars a year you can go and shoot 7 days a week if you want to. We have shoots out there once a month. During the week th 3-d targets aren't out but bags with the spongie animal targets tacked onto them are. Just good all around people there.Really tries to get the kids involved and makes it fun for them. He told my son as soon as he can put 3 arrows in a 3 inch circle from 30 yards he would give him his first set of broadheads, which ever ones he wanted. It's really just a great place to hang out. Take today for example, we went out after my son's ball game to shoot around for a bit and it was raining. We ended up just sitting aroundfor about 3 hours just shooting the breeze. He is a guy that will set up any bow he has in his shop with the correct draw length so you can shoot it to see how it feels and will just about let you shoot it how ever many times you like. It's a small shop but very personable. Only draw back is that he doesn't have a lot in stock this time of year but he really doesnt need it either. Come closer to the season he will stock alot more. But if there is something I want he will gladly get it for me. He knows every one by name pretty much from the first time they come into the shop, and treats every body as an individual and tries to help them with their needs on that basis. He won't sell you something you don't need just to make a buck. He will however talk to you about it and try to offer his input on it and then let you make the decision for yourself. Can't say enough about this place. There are a few others around me that cant offer nearly the same servie so I just don'tgo there. Hope some of this is what you are looking for and hope it helps.

Quick Reply: OK, time for input from the CUSTOMERS... what would you love to see at your local shop?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.