Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK, time for input from the CUSTOMERS... what would you love to see at your local shop?

Old 03-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Bartender

Default RE: OK, time for input from the CUSTOMERS... what would you love to see at your local shop?

I didnt really answer your question up above Greg but I would like to see more of is promotion of bringing in moreArchery shooters and huntersinto this great sport of ours.
At least my shop I dont see any bow shoots geared towards the younger crowd or anyone that has never shot a bow. I do see where they have donated money to certain groups.
I understand they dont have to do this but If I owned one that would be one goal of mine. I am already becoming certified instructor for the National in Schools Archery Program
to get more kids involved so maybe I will approach my local shop to somehow get them involved. Your thoughts?

Old 03-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: OK, time for input from the CUSTOMERS... what would you love to see at your local shop?

Gotta be friendly, don't be pushy, don't TELL someone who's experienced what new fangled stuff they need. Give some one new, plenty of options and REASONS why they would want to choose specific items. Indoor range helps. Good selection helps.
the 3 things BBM said.
Even if you do developan "inner circle" don't flaunt it, or snub those who aren't in it.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:52 PM

Tony, we don't participate in Archery in the schools, but we aremajor 4H range. Every Monday and Tuesday, for the next several months, we are inundated w/ youngsters, both new and experienced. I think you're right on with that, that is something that is very important.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would like to see more of is promotion of bringing in moreArchery shooters and huntersinto this great sport of ours.
Awesome idea! Thanks for being specific.

I want all the answers people care to give... but if you feel like it, what is it about "customer service" you mean? What sets your shop apart in that area? Or how do you know it when you're getting it? Got any examples?

I know it requires some thought... This could turn out to be an extremely useful thread... who knows how many shop owners might benefit from some of the ideas we come up with!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Dominant Buck

My wife came up with a great idea we did here at the local shop. The idea was to hold a swap meet on a Saturday morning. Everybody bring all their hunting related items and sell.....swap....whatever. LOTS of people came out.....and he held a 3D shoot to boot. I know we had more shooters than ever. I brought my cooker....and we cooked everyone's game that they brought. LOTS of people filtered through the shop that day. If you asked me.....he shoudl have done that quarterly. He never did it again.

Here's another idea I gave him....and if I owned a shop I'd do this one.

Have a deer hunting contest that runs all season long. Don't have to bring the deer by.....just have a big board.....and have contestants bring by a photo of themselves and their deer as their entry. Charge $5 per entry....and a person can enter as many times as they want (and as is legal). All entrants are eligible for a drawing for a new bow at the end of the season. Have a deal worked out with a local taxidermist who will offer (once per customer) $50 savings for each participant.....if that person chooses to get the deer mounted. Run this all season long...and try to make it a tradition. If done correctly......it could build up HUGE.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:04 PM

Great idea on the swap meet/shoot
I am thinking about doing one once all the snow is gone here.
Did people also go inside and buy things or just from the swap meet people?
I am just curious?
I think it is a good idea regardless

Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 PM
bigcountry

First, just get the job done.

Second, I would take a vested interest in my customers. Not give them the rude "SIR" crap. If you see them in there more than once, get to know thier name, its not that hard.

I would not talk down to the customers. I would never brag on how good I was. I would let my work do the talking. I am not sure why, but shop owners cater to thier ego. I mean, what would I have to prove other than making the rent every month.

Try to have fun with it. I know thats a tall order.

I see so many shop owners in MD, that really just don't get it. I have bought 6 bow in the last 10 years while living here. Believe me, treat me like a person, and I will spends litterly thousands in your store. I sure don't mind paying extra for a bow in a proshop.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff- i remember you telling me about the swap meet deal.... that would be really awesome. kinda like a big archery/hunting yard sale... buy, sell, trade.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Shop was open the whole time, buell. We actually stayed out there all night cooking Boston butts. Probably had 10 guys there most of the night. Ended up being his 10 best customers, probably.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:13 PM

did they hold it on Sat or Sunday? Both?

Quick Reply: OK, time for input from the CUSTOMERS... what would you love to see at your local shop?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.