Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Serious question for those of you who work at shops

Old 03-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Serious question for those of you who work at shops

For those who help out at shops either part- or full-time, or those who own their own shop... or if you've worked in a shop recently...

I'm looking for some info, if you would be so kind to help me out.

What have you done/are you doing that you feel works really well? What have you tried to implement in the past that does NOT work well? (any ideas as to why? What would you change if you tried it again in the future?)

What HAS worked extremely well?

What do you feel your shop has done to differentiate itself from your nearest competitors?

What do you wish you had more of?

What gets in the way?

What one thing would you change about your situation? About the industry?

Anything else you can think of you'd like to address that I haven't asked?

Feel free to e-mail your responses to me ([email protected]) if you don't wish others to read them. I know these are quite thought-provoking (at least it's my HOPE that they are if treated correctly), and as such would require sometime to give yourhonest feedback.

I'm extremely grateful in advance for your thoughtful answers.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:27 PM

Default RE: Serious question for those of you who work at shops

Well I'm pretty new to this "game", having only worked part time in my shop for about a year and a half. There is A LOT about the business end that I am still learning. So an authority on the subject I am not, but I'll offer up what I have learned.

Some of my "problems" are with the owner. Now that's not as bad as it sounds. He's a GREAT guy, I would do anything for him. I consider him a very good friend. But he's set in his ways. He's "old school" if you will. And that works, but.....Bringing in new stuff is almost impossible. Sometimes I know more about what's available than he does. Shoot, I am trying desperately to get him to buy a computer and get internet service.

What do I feel sets us apart from our competition? Mostly service. We go absolutely above and beyond trying to help people. We will actually sell something that costs less because the more expensive isn't worth the extra money. We'll of course sell it if that's what they want, but you understand. We work our tails off to get what the customer wants/needs. I've spent literally HOURS w/ one customer just setting him up. Most of the shops w/in 50 miles of us (and there is only about 3) don't care, they just want your money. We hear it from our customers all the time. Guys bring in bows that don't fit them, all kinds of stuff. It's amazing. But we work VERY hard to have someone shooting well before they leave.

I wish we had more inventory. And by inventory I mean selection. But, I understand that overhead costs money, and us being a small shop, money we don't have in large amounts. We carry good stuff, but only a couple different styles. 3 or 4 rests, couple different stabs, couple different sights.....But he knows what sells, so he sticks with that. I recently convinced him to carry the Sword line of sights, and I think he's glad I did. We have sold quite a few of those in only a month.

What hurts us most in the "wal mart mentality." I understand it's their right to make money too, but the big mega stores really hurt us. I would like to see more companies go to pro shop only merchandise. I know we cant have everything that way, I understand that. But other than bows.....pretty much EVERYTHING else can be picked up @ bass pro. am I being selfish there? Yeah, probably. But I don't care, that's how I see it.

There's also too much BS and out right lies in the industry. It's amazing the corners that some folks cut, and the lies they tell to try to sell something. I'm sure that's not specific to the archery industry though.

Well, I'm not really all that knowledgeable on this, but that's what I see. I don't know if that's the info you are looking for or not, but there it is.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

what kind of shop? be more spacific.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

C'mon magicman... you're one of my favorite posters because you're halfway intelligent... Archery shops, of course.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Oh no Greg... you aren't going to have a life for most of the spring,summer and bowhunting season.[&:] If you have the funds and can support both paths and can appeal to both the paper punchers and the hunters you may have no life all year long. LOL Clothing will sit on the shelves. People aren't willing to leave their specialty clothing manufacturers or the discount Bass Pro Catalog type places to support their archery shop. Too many lines will hinder how much of the popular stuff you can carry.... so just carry what's hot and drop what's not. You must have someone that knows how to make arrows fast and carry them all and have them in stock. You need a small indoor range and all the toys for papertuning and speed and a variety of bow presses to accomodate all bows. Sorry to say, you got to have some trad stuff(Maybe)... but it doesn't sell fast enough and will tie up inventory. Forget it, you don't want it. Trad people buy from each other and the little old mom and pop string maker they've been seeing at shoots for the last 30 years. Big inventory won't bankrupt you, having the wrong inventory will.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

C'mon magicman... you're one of my favorite posters because you're halfway intelligent... Archery shops, of course.
Well I'm half polish so cut me some slack.Our local shop owner has some good ideas. He sells live bait to draw people. He has video archery. IMO ( the intelligent half) Service is going to make or break a business. If I'm ignored, or hurried I probably won't return. Give people space to shop but let them know you are available if needed. Ask your customers how they would make your shop better. Maybe a suggestion box. You probably are already aware of these things but I Thought I'd mention them anyway. Good luck.
PS. I laughed my a$$ off at your above quote!
Old 03-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Bartender

Greg if I could say one thing that differentiate the shop I go to from others is your are more then just a customer to them. You get that friendly hello, great convo, and usually if its something
minor you need done and you ask whats the charge, I usually get ahh nothing. To me these people are somebody you just keep coming back to and actually become friends.
Pretty cool if you ask me. They tell it to you straight and have never pushed anything on me and if I ask if I did need something or to change something most of the time I get talked out of it.
If it aint broke why fix it. They have been there for me.
I know you ask for those who worked there but feedback is just as good bro.

T
Old 03-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: peakrut

Greg if I could say one thing that differentiate the shop I go to from others is your are more then just a customer to them. You get that friendly hello, great convo, and usually if its something
minor you need done and you ask whats the charge, I usually get ahh nothing. To me these people are somebody you just keep coming back to and actually become friends.
Pretty cool if you ask me. They tell it to you straight and have never pushed anything on me and if I ask if I did need something or to change something most of the time I get talked out of it.
If it aint broke why fix it. They have been there for me.
I know you ask for those who worked there but feedback is just as good bro.

T
This is all a guy could ask for!! Tell him to expand Tony and have him put up a shop in the Litchfield area in Minnesota.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Bartender

Hey I figure we kind of got our own bow shop with all the help from Rob/Pa, Greg/Mo, Arthur P, MeanV2, among so many others. Lets change the tech forum to the Bow Shop
and just let the guys who really know this stuff respond to questions when it comes to this. ( Cant forget a special spooning section )

I commend you all!

T
Old 03-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: peakrut

( Cant forget a special spooning section )

T
Way toooo much info!

Quick Reply: Serious question for those of you who work at shops

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.