Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Serious question for those of you who work at shops

Old 03-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Serious question for those of you who work at shops

Here ya go, Buell.

How much does a 1' length of release rope cost you? I paid less than $1 for mine (retail). Now let's say you tie 'em sloppy....and only get one out of a 1' strand.

So...the shop charges a man $5 to tie on the D-loop.

$1 investment......$5 tendered. Do the math.

I said accessories AND "incidentals".
Old 03-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Buellhunter

400%!
Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahah

I wish
I would be Happy with the50%. Most accessories have a mark upless than that. The Archery business is very competetive and works on a very small profit margin. Honestly many items I sell are done soas a customer service more or less in the hopes of creating traffic for other items.

Now if you wanna talk profit margins Plumbing fixtures, lighting fixtures, cabinets, and heat & AC equipment. That's where I can make some money!!

Dan
Old 03-19-2008, 03:23 PM

Well I have only been shooting for a short time. The first placeI went to was an old way out of the way cracker shack of a bow shop out in the middle ofno where. After talking with them for a while I went and looked around at a few of the other shops around town. In the end I went back to the old cracker shack. He is a very personable guy and has done everything he can to help me become a better shooter. He wont sell me what I dont need, and will get me whatever I want. I go out to shoot at his place atleast 2 times a week, sometimes we just end up sitting up in the shop and I dont even shoot and most of the other times he comes out and shoots with me. He also really helps my son out as well, showing hime the right way and the wrong to do things, and really tries to promote archery with the younger kids.So I guess what I am saying is customer service. He will always have my business even if his prices might be a little higher (which they rarely are). I consider myself lucky because not only have I found a place to learn how to shoot, but I also made a really good friend. Customer service and friendship go a long way.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Dominant Buck

What's the number one thing you end up doing in a bow shop to a customer's bow?

It doesn't take too many 4-500% markups to make up for the 20-40% deals. The dollar figures are just lower on the higher profit margin deals.

Mirrors golf in a lot of ways. I used to re-grip clubs for $6-$7.50 a club.......13 yrs ago. The grip cost us $1.75 (+/-). Other materials maybe another $.25. I could do a set in 30 mintes, easy....start to finish. 14 X $4.00 (on the low end) = $56.00.

How many shops offer a "Pre-Season Bow Overhaul" for their customers? Offer to check everyone's bow to ensure proper DL....check their strings and cables.....replace old kissers/peeps/D-loops? Check it through a chrono......make sure it's still within specs?????

ALL of these things would lead to sales of things that have THE highest margin of profit attached. It would just take a little initiative.

And not to even mention LESSONS! I'd have SEVERAL kids bows fully set up in my shop if I owned one......one to fit almost any little guy/gal. I think this is another place shops miss the boat.

Just off the top of my head......take it with a grain of salt....opinions, only.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:39 PM

ok, I'll give you the 400% on a string loop
Of course you didn't figure anything for labor to put it on.
Good thing it only takes a couple minutes
Old 03-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Of couse I didn't Buell.....Nor would you figure your labor for every hour you worked in the shop while that new Trykon hung on the hook before you sold it.

And the incidental 400% on the D-loop is, in reality, more like 900% (2/1' length x$5/ea).

I know you guys aren't getting rich. Tough gig....but I'm sure it's your passion. I admire that.

Heard a saying just a short time ago......

"Do what you love.....and you'll never have to work a day in your life"

Wish I knew the author. Good luck guys.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:00 PM

and that example would be great if a shop did about 25,000 D loops per year
heck, I wouldn't even need to sell bows then

Dave's D loop shop is now open.

Just having a little fun with ya.
It is a tough business but it is fun and I am enjoying it. I am glad you know this. Many on some sites, especially AT, manymake it seem like shop owners make $10,000.00 off every bow sale.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:02 PM

Jeff, we offer pre season overhauls. What we charge depends on where the bow was purchased. MOST cases, to simply go over it there is no charge. If we need to work on it, we'll charge, generally, $10. If you buy the bow from us, we charge nothing for labor, other than the aforementioned. String breaks. No problem. Buy a new string, no labor. Need a rest installed? Sights? No problem, buy the sight, we put it on for you.

Buy your bow and accessories, we'll set it up, level everything and set centershot. I would bet that in 90% of the cases, that bow is shooting bullet holes in paper w/ VERY little, if any, additional tuning.

I think we charge $1.99 for a D-loop, and I'm guessing half the time we don't charge anything. The bow comes w/ 2 hours free range time, and a kisser and peep, installed.

We have 5 youth bows, set up, hanging on the wall right now.

Jeff, you're pretty accurate in your assesments, save some of the numbers, but you have the exact right idea. Which is why in my first post, I mentioned how hard we work setting guys up w/ the RIGHT equipment, and teaching them to use it.

This thread, and the newest in the installment, are very interesting to me. It shows me what we are doing right, and what we may need to work on.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

It shows me what we are doing right, and what we may need to work on.
Thanks, Donnie... best endorsement for what I'm after that I could have hoped for.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

bump for me so I can find it easier for a few minutes...