Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Serious question for those of you who work at shops

Old 03-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Bartender

Default RE: Serious question for those of you who work at shops

You have not seen anything yet my friend,
Ok lets get back on track for Greg/Mo.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Dominant Buck

It's really not about owning an archery shop.... it's about running a business. View it that way it you got a chance.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for all the input guys so far... I really want to keep this up at the top to give some of the other guys a chance to view it and respond.

I saw Kodiak on it earlier for a long time, and I hope bigbulls and MeanV and others who've had a hand in running a shop will give their feedback.

And thanks for the concern, David... but I'm not opening my own shop -- to your point exactly, I'm afraid I'd lose all my own hunting time.

Anyone know of any other shop owners or helpers that I could send this link to directly that frequent our forum? Again -- I really appreciate all the help.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anyone know of any other shop owners or helpers that I could send this link to directly that frequent our forum?
Frank Dickman and Cougars
Old 03-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buellhunter opened his up about a year ago in Iowa.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Totally forgot about that John... thanks!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Well Greg, Here is my 2 cents. Having worked in 2 of the larger retail stores in my area, at the time, I did find one thing always to be true. CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Now without getting into the entire price discussion I will tell you this. As hard as it may seem to do on a CONSISTENT basis. The shop owner and his employees on the floor need to make the customer feel as if they are the only one in the storefrom the time of introduction through the end of the sale.

That is where I have seen and helped develope "raving fans" ( must read for any sales person) these peoeple will be better advetising fo ryour shop than any billboard or radio ad.....ANyway.

You know yourself when in a store as a consumer not as a prostaffer or bystander etc. but someone who is looking for attention from a sales assoc. because you need help in a purchase, you always remeber that sales person that went a littl eabove the call, making you feel like they are concerned with you needs. These days that is few a far between , sadly, but fo r the few reaming die hards out there in the retails arcjery/hunting/outdoor/ sales world those who create that raving fan are the ones you charish. which leads to another dilema, how to retain those employees most valuable to your institution[8D]

ANyway Greg you have my e-mail. let me know if you would like me to eloborate more.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sent you a PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't own a shop, but dang I've spent some coin in them. So, here is my two cents. Service is the main reason I frequent my local shop. Convenience is why I purchase online. So, you have to focus on service. Most people don't realize that your local shop has access to many brands not actually stocked on the shelf. If I need (as if)something that I would buy online, I can check with my shop first. If you have a relationship, normally the prices will be comparable and you're helping the local economy. They know me. They know what products I like, dislike, what I hunt, where, etc. It's all about the relationship, imo. They treat repeat customers with respect and as an old friend. They'll go out of their way to make sure you're happy and if you have an issue with something you can deal with them directly, not over a phone line. I'd rather Frank in town profit than Johnny Morris, but I'll admit the convenience of having something shipped to my home is easy. Make it easy and personal. And quality setup and assistance with tuning is probably one of the best services you can't get with any large retailer.

Kel
Old 03-19-2008, 04:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Greg, I really don't have a lot to say over what has already been said. Customer Service, Customer Service, Customer Service!!! It's more than being there and selling a quality product. It's making sure that you set them up with whatworks for them. I always want my customers to know that I am there for them anytime to answer questions or handle a problem. I've put bows together many times at midnight during the season. You also have to willing to get your customer what They want. Just because I don't shoot 2219's or 2514's doesn't mean they don't work for my customer. He may in fact Love the way they perform for him. You can show them alternatives, but bottom line sell them what they want. If you don't show enough interest in getting him what he wants he will get a bad impression right at the start.

All this and you have to remain as competetive in pricing as possible. Another thing to me that was very important was a couple of shop shooters. Guys that promote the shop and are willing to lend a hand when you are in a bind. A pro shop in a rural area can be a tough go. Things are really busy part of the year and can be dead at other times. An indoor lanes is a big advantage. Hopefully it's big enough to run indoor spot leagues as well as animal rounds after Bow season. All in all a Pro shop is a ton of work, very little profit, and long hours. It has to be a labor of Love. If not it usually is very evident, and reflects in a lack of customer service/interest.

Dan

Quick Reply: Serious question for those of you who work at shops

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.