Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow tips for a young bowhunter?

Old 03-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: bow tips for a young bowhunter?

I am just guessing that your new bow didn't come with sights or a decent rest. That's okay, and it's actually good for starting off. Get a nice, inexpensive prong rest like a Tiger Tuff "Tuff Star". I think a prong-type is better for beginners than a captive rest like a Whisker Biskit because it will force you to develop a nice, smooth draw so that the arrow doesn't fall off - which a captive rest is designed to prevent.

I started each of my children shooting with fingers and no sights: I believe that this made them master the fundamentals by shooting the old traditional ways first. Practice, practice, practice..... and learn to have a solid anchor point with each and every shot, keep your body still and in the same posture each time,too. When you've gotten to where you're doing pretty good without the benefit of sights, then you should add one, and probably a peep too. Stay away from plastic ones! get a decent, low-cost fiber optic pin sight, and only use one pin. The Apex Gear Atomic single-pin is good. With a single pin, you'll learn how to adjust for the arrow drop, or lack of drop, at different distances.

It might be better to say "practice and learn, practice and learn, practice and learn". Oh, one more thing: if there's a Boy Scouts organization in your area, see if maybe there's a "Venturing" crew around, particularly one that's involved in archery.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before You shoot even one arrow, find someone in your area who can set your equipment up. Then have that person work with you on your shooting. It is almost impossable to correct abad habitonce you learn it. Start out right and stay right. Concentrate on form and shoot, shoot, shoot.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with most of the above. Make sure the bow is set up properly. Don't cheap out on your accessories, but don't go thinking you have to have top of the line stuff either. Most high priced stuff is just that... high priced. The middle grade rests and sight will do almost everything that the high end stuff will.

#1 Rule - HAVE FUN!

Spend time working strictly on your shooting form on a target, but don't make it ALL work. Get away from that target for most of your shooting.

Get some el cheapo arrows, tip them with Judo points, then go out in the woods and just have fun shooting at stuff. A lot of my practice has always been to take a trash bag with me into a patch of woods and shoot drink bottles, cans and other litter. See how far you can be and still hit a soda can. Or find out if you can get an arrow through thatlittle holein the weeds or leaves to hit a bottle. Put your 'kills' into the bag and take it to the nearest dumpster when you're done for the day. It really is hard to lose an arrow that's got a Judo point on it, so don't worry about that.

You wind up havinggood practice, it teaches you what you can and cannot really dowith your woods shooting (knowledge that ispriceless to havewhen you get ready to hunt)and helps keep yourarea clean.

Too many people make all their practice sessions into work, so they wind up making up excuses to not practice. DON'T FALL INTO THAT TRAP! Make your practicesomething you enjoy doingand you'll be making excuses to get out and shoot. And you'll be a darn sight better archer than the ones who sit on the couch and watch TV instead.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

As has been said Practice but then again as has been said proper practice, not sure where you are from but in my home state of Texas there are a lot of really good clubs and local archery shops, if you have the means to get there you can pick up a lot of good information and form tips from the guys at the shops. Some shops have staff shooters that will work with you just for the cost of your shooting time and some even have clinics for young shooters, if you can find one of those where you live use it. Good Luck and keep us informed on your progress....
Old 03-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I agree with most of the above. Make sure the bow is set up properly. Don't cheap out on your accessories, but don't go thinking you have to have top of the line stuff either. Most high priced stuff is just that... high priced. The middle grade rests and sight will do almost everything that the high end stuff will.

#1 Rule - HAVE FUN!

Spend time working strictly on your shooting form on a target, but don't make it ALL work. Get away from that target for most of your shooting.

Get some el cheapo arrows, tip them with Judo points, then go out in the woods and just have fun shooting at stuff. A lot of my practice has always been to take a trash bag with me into a patch of woods and shoot drink bottles, cans and other litter. See how far you can be and still hit a soda can. Or find out if you can get an arrow through thatlittle holein the weeds or leaves to hit a bottle. Put your 'kills' into the bag and take it to the nearest dumpster when you're done for the day. It really is hard to lose an arrow that's got a Judo point on it, so don't worry about that.

You wind up havinggood practice, it teaches you what you can and cannot really dowith your woods shooting (knowledge that ispriceless to havewhen you get ready to hunt)and helps keep yourarea clean.

Too many people make all their practice sessions into work, so they wind up making up excuses to not practice. DON'T FALL INTO THAT TRAP! Make your practicesomething you enjoy doingand you'll be making excuses to get out and shoot. And you'll be a darn sight better archer than the ones who sit on the couch and watch TV instead.
Excellent post once again there Arthur!! There's nothing I can add to what Arthur just said. Do what he said and you will be well on your way in no time!! Good luck.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Bartender

Have Fun and enjoy your WILD AMERICA.! (DUKEEEEEEEEEEEE)
Old 03-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

make sure your bow is well tuned and practice
Old 03-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great post, and as usual -- great advice from a couple of my favorites. Thanks Paul and Arthur for taking the time to weigh in.

I love the advice about taking to the woods with blunts or judo points ... I just secured a new Diamond Edge youth bow for my boy who turns 5 this summer, as well as a dozen Victory junior arrow shafts. Matt / PA was gracious enough to bring him a 3d coyote from his club when he came down for this last year's hunt to give him something fun to shoot at in my back yard, but I really like the idea of taking to the woods to keep it fresh and exciting as we go "exploring"...

Great stuff, guys!!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't get a chance to read the responses but I'll give you my 2 sense...and end with a pic of me when I was 12 with my first deer. I wish you all the luck and have fun. You are hooked for life...

You're young now and technology is at its best. With your current set up I would get a whisker biscuit rest and a site that feels good for you... Never be afraid to hunt with a range finder to make your kills the best they can be. Practice all summer long...Don't be choosey in your first 5 years in the woods...You need to put deer on the ground and learn learn learn...you need to build some experience and also try to learn the appreciation of a good doe harvest...I still shake after 22 years of hunting with a bow.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - I started with a Martin Tiger 45 pounds with NO SIGHTS...You may want to walk this path of no sights as you learn...I also spent my early years shooting squirrels and partridge and pheasants with a long bow...

Before you enter the world of technology try to experience the art of bowhunting in an instinctive way like the indians did it...You'll thank me 20 years later when you reflect back on you accomplishments...Here is me back in 1986. Have fun buddy.

Remember..take your compound with sites to the woods...but take a recurve or long bow too....whack a few animals instinctivly and you'll see what I mean...

Old 03-18-2008, 06:37 PM

MichiganWhitetails74, that's an awesome pic.

The only thing I can add to all this excellent advice is to not "overbow" yourself. Shoot at a draw weight that is comfortable. Work up gradually. You wouldn't believe how many problems can develop from too much draw weight.

Quick Reply: bow tips for a young bowhunter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.