Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Albino turkeys?? typical?(Updated W/ Pic)

Old 03-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Albino turkeys?? typical?

and again

Old 03-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Albino turkeys?? typical?(Updated W/ Pic)

I've only seen one that I was totally sure wasn't a domestic or even an escapee.

Imagine a normal looking turkey, only instead of brown it had white.... this bird still had all the black markings in all the right places. That said, I saw it from the hard surface road out in a field with a large group of birds in the fall. Don't know if it was hen or gobbler. As long as I've been turkey hunting, as many turkey's as I've seen, I'd of thought if they were common I'd of seen more. I've shot two pie-bald and one all white deer. Seen several more, and also seen several more shot in hunting parties I was with.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:52 AM

I'VE SEEN ALOT OF WHITE TURKEYS IN MASON WV. I WAS TOLD THAT THEY ARE DOMESTIC BREED AND SHOULD BE SHOT ON SITE DUE TO THEM BREEDING WITH WILD TURKEYS. WHICH IN THE LONG RUN CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS FOR THE WILD TURKEYS.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Albino turkeys?? typical?

Not even close to the truth! The reason domestic turkeys are white is, plain and simple inbreeding! You will see it in wild flocks expecially if turkeys are somewhat new to the area and they stay in flocks of 20-50. Alot of these birds are beeing pen raised and released into the wild also. They are not Albinos and they are not mixed with a domestic. They are inbred and I recomend you cull them from the flock. Here in MN if one is spoted the local CO will come out and take the whole flock. Get rid of them!

ORIGINAL: WYObowfisher

I have seen them around hereI think they are mostly a cross with a domestic turkey.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

My son shot one a few years ago that was silver. My dad had it mounted for him life size. It's a very cool bird. There is one on another property we hunt that looks the same. Maybe I'll get lucky here in a couple weeks and get that one.

Darrall
Old 03-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

obviously there not typical, but are possible