Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trail marking?

Old 03-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trail marking?

What's everyones take on marking trails with tape or their shooting distances around their stand?

I never marked trails, but for the first few years when I started archery hunting I used to mark my 20 yard shot distances for obvious reasons, but for the last decade I stopped.
Main reason being, other people scouting or hunting come across these markings and they have immediate information about your efforts. In the past I have found tree stands as close as 40-50 yards from me and have noticed a few of the same trucks following me when I find new spots. Heck, if I pass anyone in the woods I'll walk hundreds of yards to avoid them figuring out my direct spot or I will sometimes leave that spot and go to another so they can't follow me around. Sooner or latter they can/will figure it out, but why give them the information immediately?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Trail marking?

When I first started bow hunting at 12 years old we would mark out yardages using a little stick that we would stick in the field. 10, 15 and 20. It worked well for me and it helped me out being I was a rookie. Since then I don't shoot compound anymore (Traditional now). I think its a good idea for people who are getting started, it helps them out.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Trail marking?

any more i use a range finder and just remember by mentally marking objects. I still do as schultzy did with the sticks in the field for turkey hunting, there is not much to range off of. trail tacks work great IF you dont get the hunter traffic.