Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

smoke as a cover scent?

Old 03-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default smoke as a cover scent?

have you guys ever done this, or heard of it being done. i know its what a lot of old timers swear by, but is it really better than all the carbon suits, and laundry detergents out there?
Old 03-16-2008, 07:39 AM

Default RE: smoke as a cover scent?

No. Not in my opinion anyway. I seem to be winded more than ever before when I get careless and sit in my hunting clothes next to the camp fire. Cigarette smoke can help them wind you as well. I know some people hunt with both odors and are successful, very successful,such as GregH smoking on stand.

I dont subscribe to cover scents, I just try for scent free as possible.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't believe it helps your odds either. I'm guilty of sitting around the camp fire with my hunting clothes on many times after an evening on the bear stand while bear hunting and its something I've gotta quit doing. More laziness on my part.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the others it may not hurt you but i don't think it helps . I WOULD GO FOR SCENT FREE . I don't think you can actually cover your scent the deer smell things way better than you or I . that is why it is very tough to cover scent something a dog is trying to smell. GO scent free and play the wind
Old 03-16-2008, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a firm believer that deer will be alerted to any smell that they are not used too, period.
Or any smell that is out of the ordinary, like using Doe estrious during Sept. etc...
I try to remain as scentless as possible with no manufactured cover scents and of course employ the old faithful, wind tactics.
The only cover scent I will use, is after I have gutted my deer, if I am lucky enough to get one, is the Doe or Buck urine from their bladders or the hawks from a buck.
I'll freeze it immediately into a few seperate baggies and grab as needed.
I've recently read, and makes sense, that deer can smell the earth from being disturbed by larger human feet, verses smaller deer hooves.
Example: A size 10 boot, per square inch, is far bigger than a mature deer's hoove. Of course to top it all off, we can not move throught the woods like Tonto or a sleek deer!
Old 03-16-2008, 08:12 AM

I can't see it helping you either. I would think smoke or fire is something most animals are going to aviod or move away from, not towards it. Probably natural instinct. Might not always be the case, but I would not risk it.

I don't think tabacco smoke is the same though.

Paul
Old 03-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

i agree with all of you, but on another site, someone said that the fire gives of carbon in the smoke
Old 03-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

I've recently read, and makes sense, that deer can smell the earth from being disturbed by larger human feet, verses smaller deer hooves.
Example: A size 10 boot, per square inch, is far bigger than a mature deer's hoove. Of course to top it all off, we can not move throught the woods like Tonto or a sleek deer!
I didn't want to let this out of the bag, but I guess I'll have to...........

To get to my stand undetected I use a pogo stick! Let's see them figure that out! [:-]
Old 03-16-2008, 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

I didn't want to let this out of the bag, but I guess I'll have to...........

To get to my stand undetected I use a pogo stick! Let's see them figure that out! [:-]

Old 03-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

My buddy hunted in the UP for years and when it got REAL cold he would light a small fire, the deer would come in to investigate the smell. He shot a nice buck sitting by the fire!

I can smell the smoke coming from the woodburner in the cabin while on stand and still see deer, so I wonder about this one!

Quick Reply: smoke as a cover scent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.