Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

20 yd down..30yards...grouping terrible

Old 03-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 20 yd down..30yards...grouping terrible

So I've spent the past week playing with my new ST-3 release...first couple days doing blank bale drills to find a comfortable anchor. As of last evening I felt that my anchor was down well, and tweaked my 20 yd pin and got it working well. Today I spent a large portion of the day trying to get my 30yd pin down, and my groups are SO inconsistant! I'm wondering if I'm subtly changing my anchor point each time, because the shots seem to spray more up and down than left to right. Occasionally I would get a nice three shot group together, but more often than not, the shots were so inconsistant. I feel like I am anchoring my hand to my jawline consistantly, but I'm not sure if I'm being consistant with the string touching my nose/face. I must have shot 100 arrows today, and I just got so frustrated, I gave up for the day. The good news is I'm not at all tired (lifting paid off I suppose). So is it inconsistant form, or am I just a terrible shot? It's like I'm learning to have to shoot all over again with this new release.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 20 yd down..30yards...grouping terrible

Matt, in a way you are learning to shoot all over again with that new release. I know you can do it, I watched you. You stack two arrows at 40 yards. It's a mental thing. It'll come together. I hope you come along tomorrow to shoot, we'll have time to do a little shooting before starting and Nate and I'll take a look at you.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's what ya git fer messin wid da Preacher and Geno!![:-]
Old 03-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Matt, in a way you are learning to shoot all over again with that new release. I know you can do it, I watched you. You stack two arrows at 40 yards. It's a mental thing. It'll come together. I hope you come along tomorrow to shoot, we'll have time to do a little shooting before starting and Nate and I'll take a look at you.
I don't know Rob, lol, those shots at your house were seriously plain luck. It's like I have no confidence... What time are you guys heading out? I'm still up in the air yet, I have some work to get done on our quad now (long story), but I would like to try, but honestly, I don't know if I'm ready...well I'm sure I could shoot, it's just how many arrows am I willing to lose? I already ruined two this weekend, lol. Uhhhh...I just need to keep telling myself this is supposed to be fun.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Say what???[&:] Lol.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Say what???[&:] Lol.
OOPS!!! sorry Matt[]!! I mixed you up with that young punk Pa Bow/Flinter[8D]who was talkin smack about the Erie GTG ...... besides, all you PA guys look the same[:-]
Old 03-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

LOL Tony.

Matt, we'll leave Hughesville around 12:15. You can ride with me, I take Nate and Ben. Your ready, seriously, we'll have time to shoot prior to starting. You'll have a great time.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:00 PM

I can make one suggestion that may help. If you are just trying to get the pin dialed in shoot at a line, not a dot. Draw a line from left to right (or right to left I guess) across your target. Then just aim at that line. Don't worry about aiming left or right or where the arrow hits. Just try to keep the pin on the line.

It is much easier for you brain to focus on one axis instead of two. This may help you out.

Not saying it will help you with your groups, but it may make it easier to set your pins.

Paul
Old 03-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I can make one suggestion that may help. If you are just trying to get the pin dialed in shoot at a line, not a dot. Draw a line from left to right (or right to left I guess) across your target. Then just aim at that line. Don't worry about aiming left or right or where the arrow hits. Just try to keep the pin on the line.

It is much easier for you brain to focus on one axis instead of two. This may help you out.

Not saying it will help you with your groups, but it may make it easier to set your pins.

Paul
Good point, I was told long ago to practice shootong at a line instead of a circle target, with a circle you tend to drift in circles.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt, we'll leave Hughesville around 12:15. You can ride with me, I take Nate and Ben. Your ready, seriously, we'll have time to shoot prior to starting. You'll have a great time.

If we end up getting the pleasure of having Renee kick our butts, I can drive too.

Matt, a day of fun shooting may take the "thinking" out of what you did today. Also, Nate and Rob (both know what they are looking for) will prob cut down on your time spent trying to figure it out on your own. With Rob as my coach/buttkicker, I have come worlds in a month.

Quick Reply: 20 yd down..30yards...grouping terrible

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.