Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HF Hunting...."Real-World"

Old 03-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: HF Hunting...."Real-World"

Not all high fences are canned hunts though.
Not wanting an argument.....just wanting your definition of the word "Canned".
Old 03-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where at Jack? I once hunted in Amarillo. Good times lots of deer and turkey sheesh the Turkey!
Old 03-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kudos GMATT – for turning the ‘hunt’ down…

I do get kinda confused when people actually think they are ‘hunting’ at most of these high fenced operations though… Isn’t it more like ‘shooting’?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

Where at Jack? I once hunted in Amarillo. Good times lots of deer and turkey sheesh the Turkey!
In the eastern Panhandle near the Oklahoma border, but I also hunt around Canyon (which is just south of Amarillo) some as well.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it was a free hunt, I would take it, leavemy bow at home and take my camera.WOW, that would be great.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Hey Bob (GR8)....NO QUESTION you're right.

But I also look at it like when you see a trained grizzly or a circus lion. Doesn't it kinda tear you up to know what that creature is REALLY capable of? Granted....."domesticated", they are......but they're still magnificent animals.....and I autmatically picture them in their wild state.

I hope I'm being understood and don't sound foolish. I know they're "farm-raised" deer.......but they're still DEER.

Kinda like when a kid raises a wild animal and sets it free. Watching this DVD makes me wish someone could do that with these deer.
These situations aren't hunting, except Teejays. Released birds are a little different than domestic deer, especially when you are talking Disabled Vets getting out to shoot their guns. Fine example of a great time, but if they want to deer hunt, why not set them up on a fair chase hunt, would be more rewarding to everyone involved.

These deer are livestock. Same as killing a goat, cow, sheep, or pig. Just a question Jeff, does it sadden you to see animals raised in stockyards? Pigs in a pen out behind the barn? If not, why are these acceptable but the deer in pens such an atrosity? Just curious.

IDC what people want to do as far as HF hunting goes, PLEASE just dont call these pen hunts "hunting". [:'(] Far from hunting.

I also have to agree with the guy arguing the other side of the story as well, on one point anyway. Not all HF ranches are the same. While these 300 acre domestic deer ranches are obviously a joke, I have to say that a 10,000 acre Texas ranchwould beno walk in the park. The fence realistically offers you no advantages in this situation, hunting wise. Sure it keeps the deer in your area, but I know for a fact that most of the deer in my area occupy FAR less than 10,000 acres. Baiting is a completely different topic though, has nothing to do with high fences. Only flaw with my line of thinking is where do you draw the line? How small is cheating, or how big is acceptable?
Old 03-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Hey Bob (GR8)....NO QUESTION you're right.

But I also look at it like when you see a trained grizzly or a circus lion. Doesn't it kinda tear you up to know what that creature is REALLY capable of? Granted....."domesticated", they are......but they're still magnificent animals.....and I autmatically picture them in their wild state.

I hope I'm being understood and don't sound foolish. I know they're "farm-raised" deer.......but they're still DEER.

Kinda like when a kid raises a wild animal and sets it free. Watching this DVD makes me wish someone could do that with these deer.
These situations aren't hunting, except Teejays. Released birds are a little different than domestic deer, especially when you are talking Disabled Vets getting out to shoot their guns. Fine example of a great time, but if they want to deer hunt, why not set them up on a fair chase hunt, would be more rewarding to everyone involved.

These deer are livestock. Same as killing a goat, cow, sheep, or pig. Just a question Jeff, does it sadden you to see animals raised in stockyards? Pigs in a pen out behind the barn? If not, why are these acceptable but the deer in pens such an atrosity? Just curious.

IDC what people want to do as far as HF hunting goes, PLEASE just dont call these pen hunts "hunting". [:'(] Far from hunting.

I also have to agree with the guy arguing the other side of the story as well, on one point anyway. Not all HF ranches are the same. While these 300 acre domestic deer ranches are obviously a joke, I have to say that a 10,000 acre Texas ranchwould beno walk in the park. The fence realistically offers you no advantages in this situation, hunting wise. Sure it keeps the deer in your area, but I know for a fact that most of the deer in my area occupy FAR less than 10,000 acres. Baiting is a completely different topic though, has nothing to do with high fences. Only flaw with my line of thinking is where do you draw the line? How small is cheating, or how big is acceptable?
This gets sticky when the fence elimantes the chance of escape,yet bait is used to attarct them to a restricted area.

while neither is needed for enjoable huntable deer herds.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

I must say, I did feel a little sick looking at the pics of the bucks in post, knowing how they were kept and knowing they were killed for their head gear alone, I don't understand it, but I am not going to cast judgement on those who decide this is the way for them to get their trophy.
I won't cast judgement either other than to say just don't call it hunting. Does this make me an elititist? Maybe...but I really don't freakin care. If a guy comes up to me and shows a picture of his "trophy" buck he shot in that same situation that Jeff described on that property I will not hesitate to tell him nice buck he shot but didn't hunt.