Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do I struggle??

Old 03-13-2008, 05:32 PM

Default Why do I struggle??

Last week I was on cloud 9 and feeling great about my decision to keep the X force, I had gotten everything ironed out, or so I thought. I was shooting great ,for me, the last 3 days have been a roller coaster. I shoot 2 great shots and then my 3rd is over 1-2 in"I shoot again and my first arrow misses the mark by 2 " then my next 2 shots are dead nuts. Then I get a d loop issue, it turns the string and I start to think it's screwing with my arrow flight!!! Mental!!and then I get vibrationparanoia, then my gripchanges , etc.... I don't have the kisser onafter 17 yrs or so with one, I would like to put it back on and see what happens. Do you guys that shoot often go through days where you can't seem to get it, and then all of a sudden the followingday, it just clicks and you can't miss??? I don't shoot at long distances, 25 yds is max. and that aint very good. out to 23 yds Im dead nuts, then if I move the block to 25 yds, I hit 3" low!!! I use one pin and have done so for a long time, this is the fastest bow I have ever owned, why can't I shoot out to 25 yds with one pin, for pete sake thearrow is moving 295 fps!! I needed to vent, I will be ok later....
Old 03-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why do I struggle??

some weird version of target panic? or you have changed so many variables that now your mind is playing tricks on you.?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

I just came in from outside and I was doing kinda the same thing...I would shoot 3 arrows at a time (25yards)and I would shoot a really nice group and the next three I shootyou would think I just started shooting for the first time today. I just found that the better I shot...the more cocky I got which made me forget some easy fundemantals. I would then slow down and treat every shot like I was in the woods and it was a nice deer that I need to make a money shot on. And sure enough I slow down and concentrate I started shooting nice tight groups again....thats just me though.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Befor I ask you any thing else anwser this one question, the instant yourrelease goes off while the arrow is still in flight, are you happy with your shot? or just happy to see it Bull after it hit the target.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:46 PM

Yes, I have made some changes. No kisser anymore, string tamer, heavier arrows, heavier tip. May take some getting used to. What would you guys say is a good group for a bowhunter at say 20-25 yds??
Old 03-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to archery. LOL Check your arrows. They do wear out.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot everyday...there are days that I end up really looking at my bow to see if I knocked something out of alignment...yesterday was one of those days...but today was dead on....so I don't know, maybe it is just getting cocky or target panic. I also find that if I walk away for a bit and slow down things seem to go better.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:56 PM

Sliver, I honestly hold my breath til it hits. Im never sure. Davidmil, these are brand new arrows, 2 weeks old. They are heavier, but I retuned and reset everything with a new rest. Targethogs, I seem to have something going on, how would you describe being off with a shot? I have been considering anything over an 2" away from where I wanted to hit at 20-25 yds. Am I being rediculous?? Or am I being realistic??
Old 03-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think sometimes all the technology becomes a crutch, put another way, if you have so much cr@p on your bow that you are always fiddling with it and changing things, start taking some of it off...

Concentrate on that first arrow, that's all that counts, focus on the center of what you are shooting at...Something I learned over 30 years ago, shooting a recurve was if my target was a pie plate, I'd have arrows all around it, if it was a one inch dot, arrows would still be all around, but I'd have a smaller group...

Concentration and focus will shrink your groups faster and cheaper than anything else you can do....
Old 03-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

stop thinking. Just go through your normal routine and motions. Your overthinking it now. archery is about being the arrow and bow(as lame as that sounds) it should be automatic by now. When I shoot I draw I relax and I squeeze... BUT everyone once in a awhile I get so angry I quit for a few days because I cant hit ****.

Quick Reply: Why do I struggle??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.