Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do I struggle??

Old 03-13-2008, 07:10 PM

Default RE: Why do I struggle??

NC, I believe what you are saying, I changed some things to try and settle this beast down some. The X force is a quality bow, but the 6" brace is a beast. It will hurt your feelings!! I had to take the kisser off, no, it blew off like so many others have. don't know what the hell that is all about?? I will try to concentrate more, I mean Im not exactly all over the target, I off by maybe 3" at the most or worse case cenerio at 20-25 yds. I don't shoot past that distance, surely Im not confident enoigh to do that, nor will I shoot a deer past 25 yds.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:12 PM

Cowboy this is true, I mean after 17 yrs I would thinkthis would be like riding a bike!! Well, it ain't!!! Some days I suck, others Im good. Never excellent though!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let me play Devil's Advocate...

If you aren't shooting past 25 yards, why are you using a release????

I've never used one, have always anchored at the corner of my mouth...No problems with loops, kisser button, heck I don't even use a peep....I have 2 pins, one for 15 and one for 25....

I just hit a point years ago that I was killing and not wounding deer and I have never been a fan of longer shots that I decided I wasn't going to pay for extra "things"...And for me, it ain't archery when you take the string away from the fingers...Just ain't right...

I know I'm out of date, cause I still shoot aluminum and either Muzzy 125s or Thunderhead 125, they both shoot to the same point of aim...
Old 03-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are you still shooting the stock PSE strings? I like PSE and all but their stock strings leave a lot to be desired. I'd buy a good set for them regardless.

I think your inconsistancies, might be a little target panic. Assuming the shot you're throwing out isn't the same arrow everytime.

For me, when a shot breaks and after my follow through, I can tell you whether it was a good shot or not. Without looking at the target.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's what you do tonight.
1. If your shooting carbons do like David said and check them, espically if your shooting a single dot target, I can tear them up in one day shooting at a single dot target. Bend and twist them looking forsplits and bumps and listen for a cracking noise. Check the nocks on them and then take a marker and number the good ones when your done so you can see where what numbers are hitting.
2. Get a good relaxed grip on your handle,draw the bow back and make sure you like it and have someone draw a stright line down the back of your riser onto the back of your hand so you can pratice getting you hand in the bow the same way every time.
3. Without your bow take your release and find a good comfortable anchor on your jaw line, now draw your bow backclose your eyes and set your jaws or teeth togeather,and get that same comfortable anchor. Is it to short, to long, peep to high? If any of it is wrong, fix it.

If you do all these things the same way every time, squeeze off a good clean release with propper back tension and follow through, you should know where your arrow is going to hit right after it clears the bow.

3'' sounds right for a 5 yard drop but I'm sure one of the other guys would run your numbers through On Target for you.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Dominant Buck

I understand your arrow might be new, but it doesn't mean they're straight or true. Put them all on a spinner. Also, mark them and see if it's possibably the same arrows giving you the trouble. Bad arrows don't fly right.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Sliver, I honestly hold my breath til it hits. Im never sure.
While there are many here that know more than I about technical archery, I think you answered your own question. You have to relax. Chill dude!

When I suffer from the problem I think you have I concentrate on my breathing, visualize each shot beforehand. It may take a full 10 minutes for me to shoot five arrows. I wipe everything from my mind but the pin and the POI. If I cannot do that (and sometimes I cannot) I take a break....sometimes up to two weeks. When I come back everything is better. You can get incredible results when you can get your mind to cooperate.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just relax VA. More than likely mental. I am not an advocate of taking long shots at live game but I highly recommend practicing as far as possible (assuming your bow is tuned right). If youpractice shooting at 60 to 80 yards then move back up to20 thebullseye looks like a trash can lid.Remember the thread about KISS. Stance, draw, anchor, aim, release, follow through(SDAARF), or something along those lines.. Burn a hole with your eyes on your target and trynot to analyze everything during your draw/aim cycle, just focus on the target.

I have a small sticker on the inside of my upper limb that reads SDAARF and below that says Burn a Hole. Just a reminder for myself, it seems to help.

Wanted to add a comment on the breathing. Control your breathing and only relax your breathing or hold your breath very briefly during the final seconds of aiming. Staying relaxed/calm is crucial, take a minute between each shot(time it if you have to)and only shoot 3 shot groups, just some things that have helped me in the past. Don't drink loads of caffeine before you shoot either(this one might just be me).
Old 03-14-2008, 08:11 AM

Guys this ia all great advice and I will try these things. It just seems like when I get everything in order, something else screws with me. for instance, now my D loop is turning and twisting and my peep gets all turned and I have to turn it before I shoot. I just wish I could do the work on simple things like adding a D loop myself. Self sufficiency is crucial I think when it comes these things. Instead, I have to wait and take 35 min. up the road on sat!!
Old 03-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't discredit what Davidmil has said. Mark them arrows 1-2-3 and see if the bad hit is the same arrow. You'll be surprised at the difference in even new arrows.

Quick Reply: Why do I struggle??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.