Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rake your path????

Old 03-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default rake your path????

Do any of you guys rake your path to your tree stands? I love to do this. When I was in kentucky this november, I raked a path to the stand my wife and I was sitting in. Our fifth morning it really paid off. We were half way down the path and we got surrounded by deer. We got down and was held up in the trail for about 30 minutes til we could finally get in the stand. We didnt spook a sigle deer!! About a half hour after sunrise, A 140's monster ten pointfollowed a huge doe in right under our stand.... He walked right under us, got about 16yds out, stopped quartering away from us!!!!! She drew back and I told her "aim back on him" Well it wasent far enough and lets just say he's safe, till next year!!! The coolest hunt I have ever been on . I am sure that raking the path helped us get in there and have such a great hunting memory!!!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: rake your path????

Never done it, there's no way possible I could keep all the leaves off.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

How long before hunting that stand did you rake the leaves? I'm thinking I'd run into the same problem as Shultzy.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

Well when I was living in maryland, i would start in early september. I left a rake in the woods under my stand all season and cleaned it out every week. It really didnt seem to bother the deer none. I wouldint dig the thing in and pull dirt. I would just take the top leaves off after the initial raking in september. It ended up working real well for my brother-in-law!!! I let him sit in my stand one day and I took up under a big oak. I was about 100yds away and watched him climb up into my stand, put his head between his legs, and fall asleep!!! I was a little ticked off when I seen him do that.[:@]After an hour of grunting for the "two of us" I looked over at him and he was still snoozen'. A couple minutes later I was looking straight ahead of me and A big 8-point busted out of some thick stuff and was headed right for me!!! At first I thought, man..... I must have got some doe-in-heat on me!!!! He got about twenty yards from me and started to slow down . He got to a fast walk, turned sideways and I said to myself as I pulled my bow back" your done now buddy" Well I got my bow drawn, started to pick a spot on him and then I seen it!!!!
My brother-in-laws arrow burried right up in the boiler room.

I could not belive it. Still cant!!!! I watched the buck go another 30yds, and pile up!!!! About twenty seconds later, her come bro man running, seriously!!!running!!!!!He is a good shot but he's not much on hunting skills. After we celabrated, he told me he woke up to the sound of him grunting and walking around. He said the arrow fell off of the rest two times and spooked him before he got the shot off on him.I guess it was that deers time.......??????? Very cool hunt though and I wouldint trade the memories for anything!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried it before but it don't work to well, leaves just blow right back on it, but i try my best...
Old 03-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried as well didnt work to well though. Now I just wear my long johns in the woods and lightly jog to my stand then get dressed once I get to stand.the deer seemnot to spook rather than sneaking all around if you surpise one they are gone!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Might seem like a dumb question but what do you mean by rakeing your path? And what does it help?
Old 03-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: whitetailbowhunter

Might seem like a dumb question but what do you mean by rakeing your path? And what does it help?
Rake a path to your treestand so you can sneak in all "ninja" like....undetected.......
Old 03-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

I would, but I move around so much with my climber that it's hard to.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've used the same path, created by me as I go into my favorite stand. Each year I snip branches as I go with a ratchet cutter. The path is so worn that shortly after I started it the deer actually took it over, and yes mature bucks walk the same path I do and or cross it. The nice thing about it, about 100 yards from my tree I cross a creek that my rubber boots are just tall enough for, I'd like to think this helps eliminate my scent. It's the best path to the stand bar none.

Quick Reply: rake your path????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.