Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to draw tags?

Old 03-13-2008, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How to draw tags?

Fellas, I need help. After sitting around and looking at various outfitters with some buddies of mine for a whitetail hunt, i decided it was time for a change. I have been going to Texas the last 3 years hunting low fence deer and exotics, and have been having a blast, but with the prices of things these days, i think its time to hunt out west. Being from NJ, the only thing i can hunt is deer and turkey. Ive been to quebec and shot a black bear, so although i had alot of fun, i would like to try for something else. That leaves the only option being well west of where i live ( or north, but still have the same problem).
It seems like everywhere i want to go and all the species i would like to try for, i need to try to draw a tag in almost all those areas. I know NOTHING about this process. Please give me some help. Whats the best way of going about this? Since hunting in my area consists of hunting developements ( a 100 acre patch of woods is huge), getting lost is almost impossible. That being said, i would like touse a guide the first time or 2 outwest. Whats the best way to approach the tag situation, find a guidethat i want tohunt with and then try to draw a tag where he hunts or try to draw a tag where i want to hunt and then find an outfitter?
I dont know much about preference points, but im assumingthatif you dont get drawn, the next year you have a better chance at getting drawn, or something like that??????
How does one go about choosing the best area to hunt? I have never been out west and dont know anyone who hunts game other than whitetail out west. I guess i just need to find an outfitter and check his refrences?
Any info or experiences you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How to draw tags?

I have found that by calling the DNR of the state I want to visit I can get a ton of help. New Mexico DNR just helped me with the whole deal in how to apply for an elk tag draw application. I went through the same thing with Wyoming. These states want your non resident $$$ and they are friendly and helpful. At the top of the page here there ia a selection for RESOURCES. Click that and then click on DNR listings. That will take you anywhere you may want to go in the US and Canada. I have yet to run into a brick wall with any of them. many have draw or lottery info readily available on thier site and it is written in english even I could understand.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to draw tags?

I think that the first time you go out for something new whether it be a new species of fish or big game, it is helpful to go with a guide or at least someone very knowledeable on that particular species. Yes, you can get scewed there too, but for the most part you don't. There are some areas and species you can hunt public land for with OTC tags, but I don't know what you are going after so I can't tell you for sure that what you want to hunt is that way. Like TX said, a call to the state's DOW can be a huge help. They will tell you what areas have the highest #'s of species of game, highest success rates, etc. They will also help you find access to those areas, etc. They may also know respectable guides around the area. It is definitely worth a call to them.

Applying for a tag is pretty easy. Most of them are online these days. Only problem is you generally have to pay up front and if you DO NOT get drawn you get your $ back. Kind of stinks, but you have to do that some places even if you are only putting in for preference points and there is a 100% probability that you will not be drawn for a tag.