Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wrong Deer?

Old 03-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wrong Deer?

Haha, oh man...fortunately this has never happened to me or anyone that i know of. I have however heard of it happening.

I could see where they guy shot the wrong buck...if they are both the same body size especially. I know that when shooting i try not to focus on the deers rack. In this case however, knowing that there were two bucks running around i think i would double check before shooting
Old 03-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Inactive

Basically he same story as Gr8 related. It was the last day of rifle season and i had already filled my tags. A friend asked me to go with him as this was the only day he could hunt during the season and he really wanted to put some venison in the freezer. In my Province you can party hunt (2 hunters, hunting together on the same license).
We were each covering one end of a big bush where we new deer crossed. Out comes a big doe, about 80 yds from me, and i shot. It jumped behind a big clump of cedars and seemed to run out the other side. Thinking i missed or wounded it, i shot again. When i saw it drop, i walked over,to it, only to find another one lying behind the cedars dead.

We tagged the one doe and called the MNR who sent a game warden out to the spot. We explained what happened and showed him the spot and the deer. Nicest guy you would eve want to meet. He gave us a special permit to posses and let us go on our way.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

SORT OF ONCE DURING A DRIVEI SHOT A RUNNINGEIGHT THAT HAD LOST HALF HIS RACK HENCE THE USERNAME HALFRACK VIII
Old 03-12-2008, 06:23 PM

nope not yet
Old 03-13-2008, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

nope....that would stink
Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 AM

I have not done this myself, but would also not be too quick to jump on someone that did. The variety of scenarios presented in the woods could lead to any number of improbable outcomes, especially when wanting to assure that you dispatch an wounded animal as quickly as possible before it gets out of sight/range.

As for whether I have seen it, has anyone watched the Monster Bucks video (can't remember which one) where Duncan Dobie is hunting a field along the Milk River (its a rifle hunt I believe) and he is watching a large buck that will easily make P&Y with plenty to spare. The deer beds down out of his line of sight, and another emerges an hour later with the rack at a different angle and he shoots it, and I believe it scored about 120. The narrator made light of what happened, which I believe is the right response in any similiar situation provided the hunter acted ethically and legally.

Jon
Old 03-13-2008, 12:21 PM

Just did last month on a FL hog hunt. Stalked a group of hogs with a few boars in it, one a nice black one with good cutters. The group came right at us and I drew on them when they were about 6 yards away. As I drew, my camera guy asks, "the big black one?" and I say "yes". The boar sees me draw and turns to face us head on. After a little while of that, the second biggest boar walks up broadside, so I say "The spotted one!", hold on him for a while and smoke him. I see my hog stop and stumble around, look at the camera to make sure he is capturing the hog going down and see he is focused on a different hog. Yep, he had the black boar tightly framed and did not switch hogs before I shot. You see my arrow zip in front of the camera and hear it smack the hog, but only see the black one decide he oughta be getting out of there.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:33 PM

what the camera guy was saying is you shot the wrong deer in the view to the camera. Most of the time a camera guy will tell the hunter which animal he has in focus. I have not seen this show, but I am sure this is what happened.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Not a wrong deer story, but almost..

When I was filming Justin at the Campbell's Archery Deer Challenge, a group of does came up to the tree. Now, for scoring the video, you have to have like two minutes of uninterrupted footage of the animal you shoot.Also, theheavier the doe, the higher the score. So, I'm zoomed out so all the does are in the frame. One doe comes over and offers a shot and I'm trying to get Justin to shoot, but there's another slightly larger doe that's not quite in position that he's eyeballing. Meanwhile I'm still not zooming in on any one deer so I don't lose points. We sort of start whisper-arguing in the tree.Me:"Shoot that one already" Justin: "But that one is bigger." Me: "Don't make me kick you." The deer start to really split up sokeeping them in the frame is almost impossible.About then Justinshot the first, slightly smaller doe (143lbs) and Iwas able to keep the camera on her the whole time. It was interesting.